Maple top soloist vs non-maple top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple top soloist vs non-maple top

I have two SL2HT's...well, I HAD two, just sold one a couple of hours ago. For 12 Benjamins and 2 Grants.

Anyways, I usually play a DK2T through a GT-8 -> Crate PB -> 1x12. I noticed that the patches I had created using the DK2T sounded thin and with almost no low-end with the burnt cherry soloist. But once the guy left and I plugged in my yellow bengal sl2ht and it sounds just like the DK2T did, just tighter and better.

So, it got me thinking, the only difference between the yellow bengal and the burnt cherry sl2's is the Maple top right? The tone knob was disconnected in the burnt cherry but I dont think this should make too much of a difference. Has anyone got a chance to do this comparison before? Maple top over a Mahogany body is regarded as the holy-grail of tone producing machines. But over a alder body?...seems like its a whole different story.
    Sam

The 1/8" maple cap would not have been enough to impact the tone.

I'd say it's more of how the painting process affects the body wood - naturals don't get primer, just grain filler. Graphics get filler and primer, which could have an effect on the wood (slight compression maybe?)

Or it could be a matter of perception - one expects a certain tone from a maple capped guitar, and thus the expectation is so great that the mind translates what the ear hears into what is expected.

Could also be that the Burnt Cherry was a dog
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

the standard USA doesnt have a 1/8th inch cap
      its a 1/16th inch veneer, it is done that way so that it does not affect the tone of the guitar
      Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonite View Post
        the standard USA doesnt have a 1/8th inch cap
        its a 1/16th inch veneer, it is done that way so that it does not affect the tone of the guitar

you mean to say that a $1600 SL2HT and a $300 Trans-black DK2T have the same maple veneer ?? Sorry, I dont believe you.

DK2T specs:
        Body
        Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors

Sl2HT specs:
        Body
        Alder with Flame Maple Top on Transparent Colors
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

you mean to say that a $1600 SL2HT and a $300 Trans-black DK2T have the same maple veneer ??
          That's not what Nick said!

He said that soloists have a 1/8" cap. As your specs say, imports have a veneer top on them. You'll find the veneer is much, much thinner than a 1/8" cap.

Comment

only the soloist mah and the phil collen have a real 1/8 quilt top. the rest is really thin veneer.
            the import charvels from 2002 had a real 1/8 too.

Comment

The slatqh had a 3/4" quilt cap.

Comment

i much prefer alder > mahogany,

Comment

I have a DK2T and I KNOW what a veneer looks like. This pic if of the burnt cherry sl2ht. tell me if this looks like a veneer to you.

Up close, you can actually see the "depth" of the maple cap.
                  Sam

Comment

How deep do you think a veneer needs to be? We don't have x-ray vision, 1/16" would do. You only loose depth in a photo-flame finish.

Oh, and my Bengal SL2H sounds better than either of yours

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Oh, and my Bengal SL2H sounds better than either of yours
                      :ROTF:
                      that's because you probably have better fingers.
                      Sam

Comment

I have a DK2T and I KNOW what a veneer looks like. This pic if of the burnt cherry sl2ht. tell me if this looks like a veneer to you.

Up close, you can actually see the "depth" of the maple cap.
                        It's just a thick veneer, not really a cap. Tops have to be 1/8" or more or they are not considered caps.
                        "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

you're kidding right?

No maple top?
                          USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
                          USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

:ROTF:
                            that's because you probably have better fingers.
                            I assure you that is not the case

Comment

ve·neer
                              1.a thin layer of wood or other material for facing or inlaying wood.
                              5.to overlay or face (wood) with thin sheets of some material, as a fine wood, ivory, or tortoise shell.
                              6.to face or cover (an object) with any material that is more desirable as a surface material than the basic material of the object; revet.

Veneer does not equal photoflame or gravure. Even a 1/16" veneer is still real maple. The "depth" you see in a flamed or quilted maple top is an illusion created by the grain pattern. It's not actually dependent on the thickness of the piece of wood.

By contrast, a gravure top, whilst appearing to be figured maple, is only a picture of a piece of wood, and so doesn't display any "depth"
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X