SL2H with potentional LOW END

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H with potentional LOW END

I am about to purchase an SL2H with a flamed maple top. I have seen the argument going around whether it has a low end or not, but my question is different.

With new pup's, is there a way to give this baby as much low end as an SL2H-MAH, or, and I am exaggerating and wishfully thinking here, a Les Paul?

If so, what pups should i get?

It's way more than just the guitar to get "low end." A stock off the shelf Soloist should be more than able to achieve that. Duncan JB through a Marshall, what more could you want?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      Duncan JB through a Marshall
      Hell yes.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

He wants low end... a JB is high mids and treble. A Marshall is voiced more in the mids as well. I guess if you crank the bass on the amp and lower the mids and highs, you'll be fine. :ROTF:
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My SL2H with a TB4 sounds great.

Comment

Duncan 59 Through a Randall!

Out Of Ideas

Comment

I'm guessing you want to play metal - I'd use a 59 but if you want higher gain maybe try a TB-5 (Custom) or if you want to go active try an EMG-85

Comment

dimarzio super distortion or dimarzio super 3. The super 3 sounds GREAT in my sl1.
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

I didn't think the super3 was very bassy in my PC1 but that was a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    I didn't think the super3 was very bassy in my PC1 but that was a few years ago
                    According to Dimarzio the Super D has a bit more bass, but it's been a while since i've played one. Its definitely got more bass than the JB did in the SL.
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I have changed the pups twice in my KV2 looking for more bottom end and found that guitars sweet spot with an EMG 85/81 set with the 85 in the bridge. I know it's not the same shape and that will make some difference, but they are both alder guitars and mine has a flame top as well, so it will be similar enough I think to have the same result. I had an SL2H reverse head and that and the KV2 had different sound but both were bright guitars and in my opinion needed some balls.

My first swap in the KV was to a Dimarzio set, the Super Distortion (bridge) and PAF Pro. That combination sounded good and I was fairly happy with the sound. It was a bit more bassy but then lacked in the high register a bit. The EMG set seemed to balance the guitar nicely. It made a pretty sweet guitar into a complete badass.

I am always modding and looking for a better way though, it's like a disease..lol

This is how she looks now with the EMG's. Any chance to show off my baby.

Comment

Has anyone here tried BLACKOUTS?

Comment

Originally posted by BCB View Post
                          I have changed the pups twice in my KV2 looking for more bottom end and found that guitars sweet spot with an EMG 85/81 set with the 85 in the bridge.
                          Hmm, that's interesting, I was just thinking about throwing an EMG 85/85 into my RR1. Do you prefer the 81 or 85 in the neck?

Comment

I usually do the 81/85 combo in my guitars, but not to long ago I swaped one of them around. The 85 in the bridge is alot darker, but not as tight as the 81. Also with the 81 in the neck it seems to even out the output of the pickups. With the 85 in the neck it is usually louder than the bridge.

Haven't tried the 85 with an Alder guitar, but in a Mahognay it is real dark.

Comment

Tone Zone.......
                              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                              X