No announcement yet.

kv1 or kv2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I picked the G string on my ten years old KV1 (unplugged) and it vibrated for a good 22-23 seconds.

"listen to it, can you hear the sustain?"

Comment

I prefer the sound of the TOM over the Kahler. Crisper, less flubby. But again, I didn't get to use the steel rollers, which may have acheived that also.

Besides the burrs, the things I hated about the Kahler were strings occasionally jumping off the rollers, too many freakin' parts for adjusting/cleaning, and the adjustable string spread getting knocked off-kilter from time to time.

Taking the Kahler off also made the guitar lighter. I recently weighed all my guitars with a precision scale, and the KV-Pro was 7 pounds, 10 ounces. Whereas with the Kahler it was around nine. My KV2 was 7 pounds, 2 ounces, though.
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I could take or leave the Kahler myself. My KV1 has a TOM/stopbar, and I prefer it that way.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm convinced that Jackson pulled a "Fender" with the TOM. They changed a part out (Kahler 3310) with a more inexpensive part (TOM) to shave cost, and at the same time convinced players that it is a more desirable configuration.

EDIT: I do have a negative regarding the Kahler, that sucker really has a death grip on the ball end of the string. String changes can be a pain in the ass, especially if a string tears apart right at the ball.
          Last edited by Axewielder; 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Nah, they changed it because Dave told them to. He kept the Kahler on his sig model (and Marty on his) even while Kahler went temporarily out of business. Jackson was buying them in lots wherever they could score. How I found out Kahler had gone tits-up, I called the Jackson service line to see if I could get some steel replacement rollers and the guy pretty much said, "hell no!" The bridges were too hard to find whole, to go parting them out.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

So what model would a 87 King V be?
              CURRENT GEAR SET UP
              2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
              1989 JACKSON KING V
              1984 JACKSON RR
              AXE FX II
              MESA BOOGIE 2:90
              DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
              FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
              (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
              (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                So what model would a 87 King V be?
                It's just a King V.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  It's just a King V.
                  Yeah, I thought they were all custom shop until the KV1 came along.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                  X