Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bitch about acquiring a SL2H in Canada...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bitch about acquiring a SL2H in Canada...

This is truly lame... I've called Long & McQuade a few times already and asked if they had any SL2H's. They basically said they didn't and went on about how they could order one for me within 3 months... that wasn't a typo, THREE months. So I consider what else I could do... order a SL2H from the USA from one of the many fine Jackson dealers here. But, that has problems too. I live in Canada, and customs must have rocks in their ass because customs tax can run up to $1000+ on a guitar like this.

/end bitch
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

find someone that can ship you the guitar but will claim it was your guitar & was in the US for repair work. NO taxes

Comment

Could you have a U.S. dealer ship one to a store near you?
      Scott

Comment

People in the US sometimes have to wait 3 months for a guitar that isn't in stock either. It happens.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
          People in the US sometimes have to wait 3 months for a guitar that isn't in stock either. It happens.
          +1
          Just order it and wait like the rest of us.
          If you HAVE to have it now, be prepared to get ass raped on import taxes.
          -Rick

Comment

Im in Canada
            Ordered a USA KV2 and got it 2 months flush after the order, without being assraped by taxes. I was told between 2 and 4 months in the first place, so I was pretty satisfied when I got it

Patience my friend, these axes are worth the wait , besides, is 3 months THAT long compared to the fucking LTD AX400 (ESP) Ive been waiting for 6 months now?

Comment

it's only 5% tax?...just the gst.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                find someone that can ship you the guitar but will claim it was your guitar & was in the US for repair work. NO taxes
                Good idea, how likely is that to work? and how would that be done by the seller?
                Last edited by Mario8672; 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM.
                Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Who told you taxes were $1,000? That is bullshit. Taxes are at most $50 for brokerage + 5% on made in USA items or roughly 10% on foreign made items. On super expensive items, taxes are actually more reasonable than they are on cheaper items because on a small, say $100 item, it is the brokerage fee that makes the taxes seem like 55% the purchase cost.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM.
                    Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                      Order from the US, then learn these two words: fake receipt (for a lower priced item)

The problem with that is that if the item is damaged, you now can not claim it's true value.

It's only 5%...

Plus if you use UPS, or Fedex, there is no Brokerage (is that the right word?) fee...UPS just delivers it to you, and you have to pay the duty.If you ship standard post, you will get dinged with a broker fee for sure though.

Duty prices also change all the time, sometimes you might pay nothing at all.

Just use the buy it now option on one of those nice new soloists that are one Ebay right now. I've seen some for $1500 new.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post

Plus if you use UPS, or Fedex, there is no Brokerage (is that the right word?) fee...UPS just delivers it to you, and you have to pay the duty.If you ship standard post, you will get dinged with a broker fee for sure though.
                        You have that backwards.
                        UPS and FedEx hit you with brokerage fees.
                        There are no brokerage fees when you ship via USPS to Canada.
                        I send at least two packages a week to Canada for my wifes jewelery business... USPS is the fastest and cheapest.
                        I'm more than familiar with the damn customs forms. Thank god for Click-N-Ship and online forms. I remember when I had to fill that crap out by hand.
                        -Rick

Comment

I don't know why you estimate it could cost as much as $1000 in customs?

I imported an SL2H and SLS last year and it didn't cost anything like that. Customs only is trying to collect the GST on the estimated value which shouldn't be significantly different than what you would pay in Canada. It's the brokerage fee that is the rip off which is paying the courier to fill out the import paper work and pay the GST for you.

That said I bought guitars from the US because one was a limited run and the other was an out of production NOS. If you can buy in Canada you avoid the risk of having to deal with a guitar broken in shipping. It's hard to imagine somewhere across Canada L&M doesn't have an SL2H they could ship to your local store right away. Try Mother's Music too.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                            You have that backwards.
                            UPS and FedEx hit you with brokerage fees.
                            Not strictly true Rick - Definitely UPS and I think FedEx have no extra brokerage charge if you use the cheapest air services and upwards. So it can work out cheaper (and obviously quicker) to use the economy air service than to use land and then pay brokerage.

However, whoever told you you'd pay $1000 CDN is full of shit or fucking nuts. I paid $300 on a guitar valued at $3500. Fully legit. No corners cut.
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Hargh! you think YOUR country's import tax is bad?! take a look over the pond at yours truly, "Treasure Island"/aka UK.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X