Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bitch about acquiring a SL2H in Canada...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
    Good idea, how likely is that to work? and how would that be done by the seller?
    its worked for people ive shipped to. the seller just has to fill out the custom form, so that its states the the guitars is being returned after repair work.

Comment

That actually sounds good. I was lookin at buying a guitar from a music store in the states so I may look into that.

Comment

You pay PST and GST, so 13%

no duty on USA items

brokerage can be over $100 if UPS handles it, they like to screw ya

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          Hargh! you think YOUR country's import tax is bad?! take a look over the pond at yours truly, "Treasure Island"/aka UK.
          You don't pay tax if it imported from another EU country so always check there first.

Comment

You don't pay tax if it imported from another EU country so always check there first.
            he's right. we can still save!! one of the reasons the european union is a good thing. or maybe the only reason....

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
            This is truly lame... I've called Long & McQuade a few times already and asked if they had any SL2H's. They basically said they didn't and went on about how they could order one for me within 3 months... that wasn't a typo, THREE months.

3 months wow hardluck man, it only took my mate in the UK 11 months to get his... count yourself lucky!

So I consider what else I could do... order a SL2H from the USA from one of the many fine Jackson dealers here. But, that has problems too. I live in Canada, and customs must have rocks in their ass because customs tax can run up to $1000+ on a guitar like this.
            your fault for being canadian :ROTF:
            Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

For those of you customs people in the states. Is what you are saying that since I live in Canada, if I get a USA jackson from the states, I would not pay any duty on the guitar because it is USA made?!

Anyone know anything about this as I am looking at buying a guitar from the states right now...
              Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Correct.

NAFTA takes duty off any items made and shipped across north american borders.

Simple solution would be to call the customs hotline and ask to confirm. but i have taken US guitars over before, kinda well versed in this.

that said, i pick up my guitars in Niagara (shipping place i have an account with) and drive them back to here (toronto), so i deal with the customs people myself (fake receipts in hand!) and make sure they know its US made. if you're having it sent to you, make sure the guy sending it makes that clear in the paperwork.

Comment

I've bought two SL2Hs from the States...I wasn't 'raped' with brokerage fees...in fact, when you add the fee to the cost of the guitar, it's STILL a HELL of a lot less than what you'll pay from a local guitar centre, especially a biggie like Long McQuade.

I waited two months for mine, but the bridge wasn't aligned properly. I kept it for six months until I bit the bullet and returned it via warranty. Since it was brand new, all I had to do was return it to an authorized Jackson dealer...so, I didn't have to pay for shipping or anything!

I'm still waiting though. They estimated four months...sob. I'm halfway there!

I also picked up a 'used' SL2H on the bay, and I lucked out...the bridge was centered. I won't buy sight unseen used guitars anymore, but some of those ebay auctions are actually in-store guitars...you just don't get the warranty. But you get them at a killer price...

Far better than the 2 grand + you'll pay at a dealer in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                    People in the US sometimes have to wait 3 months for a guitar that isn't in stock either. It happens.
                    I waited 5 months for my KV2 in 2006. It seems things have slowed a bit at Jackson, they are now telling me I will likely have my custom by July when I was expecting more like Dec or later. I guess we will see how that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                      find someone that can ship you the guitar but will claim it was your guitar & was in the US for repair work. NO taxes
                      Unfortunately, that won't work. The border nazis expect you to get a tag for it on it's way to the US. That way, when it's on the way back, you have proof that you already own it.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Mat View Post
                        Correct.

NAFTA takes duty off any items made and shipped across north american borders.

Simple solution would be to call the customs hotline and ask to confirm. but i have taken US guitars over before, kinda well versed in this.

that said, i pick up my guitars in Niagara (shipping place i have an account with) and drive them back to here (toronto), so i deal with the customs people myself (fake receipts in hand!) and make sure they know its US made. if you're having it sent to you, make sure the guy sending it makes that clear in the paperwork.
                        That's pretty much exactly what I do myself. My wife has a P.O.Box in Niagara Falls NY, so I often have stuff shipped there, and bring it back myself. You want to completely avoid UPS and FEDEX, because they are the ones who charge outlandish brokerage fees. As for US made products and duty, that's true, but you will still pay taxes on the item when you bring it into the country. Whenever possible, I have my stuff shipped via USPS, to my house. That way I pay no brokerage fees. Plus, I have never had anything damaged or lost by USPS.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That's pretty much exactly what I do myself. My wife has a P.O.Box in Niagara Falls NY, so I often have stuff shipped there, and bring it back myself. You want to completely avoid UPS and FEDEX, because they are the ones who charge outlandish brokerage fees. As for US made products and duty, that's true, but you will still pay taxes on the item when you bring it into the country. Whenever possible, I have my stuff shipped via USPS, to my house. That way I pay no brokerage fees. Plus, I have never had anything damaged or lost by USPS.
                          That is exactly what i do as well ship to Niagara Falls NY and go pick up myself. I have also had great luck with USPS I have had 2 guitars shipped right to the door no problems what so ever. No brokerage fees. I never use UPS unless it is coming from Canada.

Comment

Working...
                          X