Sl1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sl1

I'm thinking of buying an SL1, I have a SL2 now and love it. Whats the differents between the 2 other then the SSH and the HH set up?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I hate stupid people.

http://www.myspace.com/28wicked

no difference other than the pickups.

Comment

Thanks. So what about sound? Is their alot of difference?
      "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I hate stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonchick View Post
        Thanks. So what about sound? Is their alot of difference?
        Last time I checked, singles sounded way different than a hum

If you think it will fit the bill, go for it.

For my 750XL, I used a Duncan Distortion Mayhem set, but with a mega 5 way switch that lets me do:
        Neck Hum
        Neck Single
        Single Neck + Single Bridge in humbucking (push/pull tone does a phase reverse)
        Bridge Single
        Brisge Hum

No issues with versatility with a dual hum axe. It covers all of the bases.

Comment

Originally posted by RD
          plus a nice little volume drop going from a hum to a single coil as well..
          not if u balance em rite, or use hotter singles

Comment

So then the stock singles are pretty much junk?

I hate stupid people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksonchick View Post
              So then the stock singles are pretty much junk?
              That's a good question - what singles come on an SL1? I don't know what an SL1 comes with.

I think the stock neck hum on my SL2H Bengal is fairly whimpy, but it matches well with the JB/TB in the bridge.

I think the stock J200R (a Jackson hotrails style single) in my Fusion Deluxe kicks ass and matches very well with the J90C.

I also have another Fusion with an 18 volt EMG81 matched with an EMG-S. You know Great White's Rock Me, where it has the bluesy clean parts then the hard rock parts? This guitar nails it. It has a "percieved" large volume drop because it goes from distorted to clean when you switch pickups, but with my amp settings just right, the overall volume from the speakers remains constant. I don't change the amp at all (single channel), just the switch in pickups is enough to go from distorted to clean.

What do you plan on playing with the singles? For me, Smoke on the Water is about it I really have no use for true single coils. If I had an SL1, it would probably have some sort of single sized humbucker (HS-3, rot nails, JB Jr.....)

Comment

Having more then one sound is a good thing unless your only going to play one type of music (RD). H/S/S is one of the most versatile setups that why you see more guitars with it then any other. Try it you'll like it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Sl1's are still coming with the STK-1 Classic Stack pickups. Seymour Duncan discontinued this model when they introduced the Classic Stack Plus STK-4 about two years ago. However, according to that guy who used to be on this board for Jackson, SD was going to continue to produce the STK-1 as an OEM part until Jackson decided on a replacement. As far as I know they still have not chosen one.

I asked this because the STK-4 is supposed to be pretty amazing as a noiseless vintage correct single coil and was hoping they would put them in the Sl1's but no such luck so far.

If you want to find the original question and answer from Jackson you could check my old posts but it might have got deleted when the "ask jackson" section was toasted.
                  Last edited by cookiemonster2; 02-13-2008, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

I hate stupid people.

Comment

dont know if anyone said this already...

Since there are three pups in a SL1, there's a lot of routing in the body. Some consider this a drawback. the drawback would be that the loss of mass results in loss of sustain and chunky palm-muting that's available in a SL2.
                      Sam

Comment

Well, the difference in the amount and location of wood removed for 2 singles versus 1 hum, is not THAT big. I wouldn't expect it to make a significant difference, if everything else is identical.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          dont know if anyone said this already...

Since there are three pups in a SL1, there's a lot of routing in the body. Some consider this a drawback. the drawback would be that the loss of mass results in loss of sustain and chunky palm-muting that's available in a SL2.

Your aren't being completely honest. Your Bengal is an SL2HT. I wish you were closer so that we could compare side-by-side against my SL2H Bengal to see if the extra wood helps or hurts the tone.

You know Gibson is routing the hell out of LP Standards these days. Maybe semi-hollow is the way to go

My 750XL is string thru, but with it being mahogany, short scale, different pickups and such, there is too much going on there to fairly compare just string thru vs. trem route.

Comment

I like the way my neck single sounds on my sl1 on my clean channel!
                            I love admins!

Comment

Here's a twist to the question, if you could only get 1 which one would it be?

Comment

Working...
                              X