Single coil to complement a TB-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil to complement a TB-5

Hi, I'm looking for anyone with some suggestions for a single coil in the neck position to complement a Duncan Custom (TB-5) bridge PU on a hum/single configured Soloist, ebony on maple neck with mahogany wings and maple top - this guitar is made to play metal tuned to "D". Electronics are vol and a 3-way. It will mainly be used for nice rich rhythm cleans and occasional dirty leads. Would also like it to balance well with the TB-5 in Position 2 on the 3-way toggle where both PU's will be active. I think I would prefer a double stacked single coil only becuase I had experienced them on an Anderson. Thanks in advance -
    Coot

Bill Lawrence L290 or DiMarzio Fast Track-1.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

How about a HotRails neck?

I had a TB-5/HotRails combination on one of my guitars, and they were well balanced, output wise.
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

+1 for the hotrails neck.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Hot rails are great .. unless you wanna keep that single coil sound, then try duncan classic stack.

Comment

Except for the fretboard wood, very similar to what I've got here...

It's got a Custom & a Cool Rails. A nice "in-between" pickup - it can pull off leads and nice clean tones, too. Don't think you'll get the latter as nicely with a Hot Rails. I've got others with a Classic Stacked in the neck position, too - that leans more towards the clean end of things.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              Except for the fretboard wood, very similar to what I've got here...

It's got a Custom & a Cool Rails. A nice "in-between" pickup - it can pull off leads and nice clean tones, too. Don't think you'll get the latter as nicely with a Hot Rails. I've got others with a Classic Stacked in the neck position, too - that leans more towards the clean end of things.
              Thanks for all the responses...

Shreddermon, do you think there would be any usable sounds with this set-up utilizing a push/pull volume pot for coil splitting? This may be a little subjective, but what is your take?
              Thanks,
              Coot

Comment

Sure. Depending on your preferences, that set-up might be a little overkill, but the added flexibility couldn't hurt. I'd prefer it as-is, though. You'd be suprised how cool a bridge hum sounds straight up with a neck SC - it's a real nice, round tone.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  Sure. Depending on your preferences, that set-up might be a little overkill, but the added flexibility couldn't hurt. I'd prefer it as-is, though. You'd be suprised how cool a bridge hum sounds straight up with a neck SC - it's a real nice, round tone.
                  Yeah, maybe a little over-kill, simplicity with usable sounds is my goal, I feel the less in the signal chain, the better. I probably will be going with the Cool Rails, because I won't be utilizing the neck for much more than cleans and don't want to muddy things up. This is for a custom order soon to be finished, the opportunity arose to make a last minute decision. I will post some pictures, only 18 months in the making ...
                  Coot

Comment

I 2nd Sheddermon on the Duncan "Cool Rail". I think it goes perfect with the "Custom Five".That's what combo came in my H-S San Dimas.The point of the neck Pup is "Tone" and this Pup delivers.It can handle any sytle ,clean,blues,classic rock,metal etc.
                    The Hotrail is hot all the time.
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I have a Duncan Custom Custom in a couple guitars. At first I paired it up with a Hot Rails in the neck and hated the Hot Rails! It was too muddy so I switched to Dimarzio Virtual vintage on one guitar and Dimarzio Fast Track in another. Both work well in the neck position. The Fast Track has become one of my favorite single coil neck pickups!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Interesting post. I have been looking to try a SH-6 for my bridge & a coolrail for my neck. Does the custom match up "better" than the sh6?

Comment

Working...
                        X