DK1 Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1 Advice

I am considering bringing a DK1 into the family - I am used to playing an SL1, so I'm looking for advice from anyone who's a DK1 fan - neck, fretboard, EMG's - Will this fold into my mostly Seymour Duncan powered family??

I loved everything about my old DK1. ...Everything but the EMGs. They're killer axes. Very Charvel pointyhead-ish in many respects. Especially the necks.

...You can always swap out the pickups. Or, better yet, find yourself a good Fleabay deal on a Charvel pointyhead w/Duncans. Probably get a good deal, that way. Unless you feel like you need the binding and sharkies. Can't go wrong either way.

Comment

I can only comment on the neck.

My DK1 necked KE3 seems thinner than my neck-thru or set-neck J/C guitars. I think I like a finished neck over the raw oiled neck. I have MIJ Fusions that I seem to like the finished neck on. I don't have sweety hands so the finished necks feel glassy smooth to me.

I like both neck-thrus and bolt-ons, but I feel it's justified paying the higher price for a neck-thru. I could never justify spending more than $500 for a bolt-on, and in fact I've never spent more than $300 for any bolt-on guitar. But then again I've spent $2550 on a Les Paul and I'm sure some would find this outrageous.

I haven't changed out the KE3 Duncan Designed pickups in this axe yet. Just not a high priority.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        I've never spent more than $300 for any bolt-on guitar.
        Might that may be why you don't like them as much?

Not trying to be an idiot, just asking...

I love my bolt-on custom shop dinky... what a machine!!!

(and, a bit more than 300 fun-tickets)

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

I guess the field is mixed on this - but that's ok - I'm probably most concerned with the sound of the EMG's as compared to the Seymour Duncans that I'm used to.

Comment

I must admit, I don't really like the neck on my DK1 - it feels thinner and flatter than my Charvel necks. Just kind of soul-less really....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i loved my old DK1 (wish i never sold it) The necks are super fast, and smooth. If your a duncan guy you wont probably like the sound of the EMGs. But overall i love the DK1 and probably will end up getting another one when the right deal comes around

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                Might that may be why you don't like them as much?

Not trying to be an idiot, just asking...

I love my bolt-on custom shop dinky... what a machine!!!

(and, a bit more than 300 fun-tickets)

Actually I love all of my bolt-ons. I have a
                DK2 Purple that I spent $ on converting the hardware from chrome to gold
                Jackson Fusion Professional
                Jackson Fusion Professional Neck w/Charvel Fusion Deluxe body. EMG81 / EMG-S wired for 18 volts.
                Kelly Star with EMG81b / EMG85n and an SPC Boost
                Charvel Fusion Deluxe (stock)
                KE3 with a DK1 neck
                2 Aria Pro II's
                Fender MIM Strat

I'm probably forgetting someone. But if I'm going to get over $500, it better be a set neck or neck thru.

Comment

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                  X