1987 Soloist Makeover - new pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Soloist Makeover - new pic

For the old boy's 20th birthday, he's been treated to a new set of Seymour's (SH6 bridge, SSl4's neck and middle) and an original Floyd Rose, in place of the JT6. Plays and sounds much better now.

The Floyd has a tighter radius than the guitar, so the action on the middle strings is a little stiffer than I'm used to on the particular axe, but I'll get ued to it. I had to make a little wedge shaped shelf out of an old pickguard offcut to take up the slope where the old nut shelf stops, and put about 0.8mm of flat shim under the locknut, plus I used top mount screws, rather than start drilling through the neck. There's not a lot of wood either side of the truss rod channel to allow this, but I managed it - just!

I also had to use the retaining bar, as the E strings pull outside of their channels in the locknut and need holding down else they go sharp when locking up, luckily it occupies the leftover holes from the JT6/Kahler style locknut nicely!

Round the back in the trunk behind the floyd there's a brass big block.

Looks sweet!
    How does it play/sound with the new goodies?
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

your a braver man than I sir!!!

Beautiful guitar you have there, love that reverse Headstock

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        How does it play/sound with the new goodies?
        Originally posted by Tommie View Post
        Plays and sounds much better now.
        Can't you read?

Looks sweet! What were the pickups previously in there?

Comment

Oops.
          That's what I get for sneaking a peek at work.
          LOL
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
            Can't you read?

Looks sweet! What were the pickups previously in there?
            The J80C and two J100's which I ordered it with back in '87. (The J80C is now in my Rhoads). I always found that this setup was a bit mismatched, in that the bridge hum seriously dwarfed the singles in volume, and they sounded thin. This setup much more balanced.

Beleieve me, I thought long and hard about changing things out again, but nothing I did is irreversible.

Comment

Very nice man! cool upgrades, i love the reverse head stock.

Comment

Working...
              X