'85 San Dimas Rhoads now on gigging duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '85 San Dimas Rhoads now on gigging duty

And sounding mighty fine, too. I was also surprised how comfortable this axe is to play. It only has temporary pickups as I'm waiting for a pair of Seymour SH6's, meantime it has a Jackson J80C in the bridge and something out of a Japanese Greco V in the neck. As with my Soloist posted on another thread, the Floyd has a brass big block (42mm deep - the advantage of a non back-routed Floyd!) round the back.

I gigged the two of them back to back on Saturday night, through my mighty Marshall 2000 (the 250 Watt behemoth from 1981, not the newer JCM2000) and the Rhoads had the edge tone-wise for bridge position rock, although the Soloist beat it hands down on stuff needing neck pickup.

The Rhoads was a direct result of seeing Vinnie Vincent playing his, back in 83 or 84 (and it's taken me this long to find one in any sort of red), although the colour on this one is much more restrained than Vinnie's which looked like lipstick!

Oh, and I also believe Vinnie had a non fine tuning Floyd in black on his. Try finding one of those... Plenty of chrome ones from the budget Kramer Focus range, but black - non existent!

Comment

vinnie's was chrome. cool guitar! i love the old rhoadses.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks nice. I am a huge RR v fan too.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That looks like one I sold last year... cool...

Comment

Goddamn it I can't stand it when these cool old Rhoads come up. Even though I have several, it still drives me nuts with envy. Is there something wrong with me? hehe GREAT axe bro!

Comment

floyd rose suxx

Comment

Nice RR

Comment

Nice one! Not sure why you would want an SH6 in the neck though? I didn't think they even made a neck version of that pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonKing View Post
                    floyd rose suxx
                    ? ok

awesome rr !
                    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                      Nice one! Not sure why you would want an SH6 in the neck though? I didn't think they even made a neck version of that pickup?
                      Mainly because Duncan now do those paired sets and it was cheaper to get the pack with both in it. I rarely use neck pickup in any case. It's definitely labelled "SH6-n" on the box, so they must exist!

Comment

floyd rose suxx
                        When compared to what? Compared to a Kahler, they're much better - I don't like Kahler at all. Compared to a fixed tailpiece, yes there's a loss of tone with the Floyd, but if you want a trem, that's not an option.

This is an original Floyd, not one of the licensed versions, which I find are made of crappy metal, with the knife edges and threaded holes easily mangled!

Comment

floyd rose suxx
                          Thanks for your less-than-intelligent input douche...

Comment

floyd rose suxx
                            :ROTF:

What a funny joke.

He he.

Comment

Suck on my floyd CK.My guess he dosn't like floyds because he can't work on them.Floyds work great and are rock solid.Kahlers are great too.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X