401K guitars Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 401K guitars Jackson

Vintage Guitar magazine April 08 has a articale on Jackson guitars. This articale says that we might see our Jackson guitars become a BUY opportunity in the near future. As we know the general guitar playing public thinks of Jackson as 80's metal and are though as one dimensional instrument . I hope articale like this isn't the start of even higher prices on the Charvel/ Jackson they've already seem to have doubled in the last couple of years.

I think that most of the J/C price increases on the used market reflect the gradual, inevitable "retirement" of a lot of the nice `80s and `90s guitars, including the early Pro models that are hitting 20+ years in age. A lot of JCFers (myself included) have multiple guitars and can switch between them for daily playing so as to not wear out any one guitar, but there are a lot of nice guitars that are simply beat up after years of regular use and abuse.
    sigpic

Comment

I think the time to buy was a few years ago, before the prices doubled.

Comment

Hmmmmm
        Let's see
        hehehe
        Tell you what... put your money into the 401K, and bitch about loosing 2K last year.

Can you enjoy your money "over there --->"

I like the idea of playing my money.

oops

did I say too much?

Guess I won't make money on my hobby from now on... it just don't make no sense.

huh?

LOLOLOL

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

And if they do go up in price over the years of having fun owning them and playing them.... then it is just a bonus... and from what you have taught me Spike, these instruments are like fine art and they will increase in value as less and less of them survive the people having fun playing them. Purchasing a vintage Jackson/Charvel is better than putting your money in a fine automobile that depreciates faster than you can possibly pay it off. I love all the ones I have bought, and love watching my daughter play them too. That alone makes it all worth the while.. Thanks for tuning me onto such nice guitars!

Comment

Um, what do Y'ALL think fett's been up to?
            Those cheap guitars may not be so cheap in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I think the time to buy was a few years ago, before the prices doubled.

From what I've seen (since the early 90's), the price has dropped for USA Jacksons. They ca be had for $1900 (retail), and cheaper if you look around.

In Canada just the pro models in the early 90's were over $1600.

Comment

Brooke, I hear what you're saying.
                I guess I'm only really talking about the used market, where if you are careful, you can pick up something for 900, or even 1100, and "somewhat" vintage... enjoy it, and not worry about loosing your ass on it if you have to sell it to pay the mortgage.
                Most times, you'll own it, play it, and sell it... for a hundred bucks.
                This does not apply to someone who is willing to pay 3K for a new one.
                I'm just talking about buying nice clean used stuff, that's probably built better than what can be bought brand-spankin' new.
                I like the older stuff... and not just my guitars... I most enjoy driving around in my used Lexus.
                The same resale/reward (buy used) rule applies.
                Just because I have enough cake to buy whatever, doesn't mean I need to.
                The most expensive moment in life (guitars, cars, etc.) happens about 15 feet away from the dealership.
                Cuz now it's used... no longer new... old...

That's when you buy it... once someone else has taken the "hit".

Trust me.

I have no reason to lie to you.

hehe

--floydkramer

Comment

I'm keeping my USA Jacksons for that very reason all are unique.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

amen, now the prelude music....

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                      From what I've seen (since the early 90's), the price has dropped for USA Jacksons. They ca be had for $1900 (retail), and cheaper if you look around.

In Canada just the pro models in the early 90's were over $1600.
                      I was refering to the used market.

Comment

Having bought new & used just within the last 12 months I have to agree with nhspike- Nothing WRONG with buying new but all things being equal I'd look for the one someone drove off the lot & decided they didn't like.

Guitars as investments? Well......nah. I understand that folks look at $50,000 50's Stratocasters and say, WOW what a great investment, that sucker only cost $250 back in, say, 1954!

If you do the math though it's not a very attractive rate of return, at all. Assuming that you pick the RIGHT guitar, and assuming you have a massive time horizon (53 years in this case!) if you put $250 to work today and got $50,000 53 years from now, that's a growth rate of 10.50%.

10.5% is a nice number but it's not earth shattering: The stock market, depending on what index you're looking at, easily provides those returns. And you don't have the liquidity risk (the risk that when you're ready to sell nobody is ready to buy, at least not at the price you're wanting to sell) or the single-asset risk (assuming that the Fender that you buy today is going to be one of the "desired" ones in the future).

I know that in MOST cases if someone's looking at a guitar as an investment it's really as 10% investment, 90% fun, but it most certainly is not an efficient way to invest.

Vass

Comment

You make a lot of sense Vass...
                          Back when I was really into bass fishing, I thought of my boat as a good investment.
                          Emotions and dollar signs don't mix well do they?
                          hehehe
                          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                            Having bought new & used just within the last 12 months I have to agree with nhspike- Nothing WRONG with buying new but all things being equal I'd look for the one someone drove off the lot & decided they didn't like.

Guitars as investments? Well......nah. I understand that folks look at $50,000 50's Stratocasters and say, WOW what a great investment, that sucker only cost $250 back in, say, 1954!

If you do the math though it's not a very attractive rate of return, at all. Assuming that you pick the RIGHT guitar, and assuming you have a massive time horizon (53 years in this case!) if you put $250 to work today and got $50,000 53 years from now, that's a growth rate of 10.50%.

10.5% is a nice number but it's not earth shattering: The stock market, depending on what index you're looking at, easily provides those returns. And you don't have the liquidity risk (the risk that when you're ready to sell nobody is ready to buy, at least not at the price you're wanting to sell) or the single-asset risk (assuming that the Fender that you buy today is going to be one of the "desired" ones in the future).

I know that in MOST cases if someone's looking at a guitar as an investment it's really as 10% investment, 90% fun, but it most certainly is not an efficient way to invest.

Vass
                            I agree and disagree. I have 2 guitars that fall into the investment category. First would be the used soloist I bought for $700 in 1986....I gotta say it's worth WAY MORE than that now, and my KV Pro that I bought on the bay like 6 years ago for under $500 in great condition, I could get way more for it now.......but it doesn't matter, because they ain't and never will be for sale! I do play 'em, but really don't put a hurting on the frets or anything since I only play rhythm. lol
                            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Vass up until the early 80's you were still able to buy a 50's & 60's Strat for $150-$500 range . They are noway near the quality build of a SD Jackson having owned both. I'm not saying that these guitars will be worth as much but there are way more Strat from that time then unmodded or damaged SD Jackson's.

Comment

Working...
                              X