Advice on KE2 Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on KE2 Purchase

I have a chance to buy a 2001 Jackson KE2 for around $1200 (give or take) - It's eerie dess swirl and in mint condition.

I have never owned a KE2 before - I've heard that they tend to be neck-heavy and don't balance well - Is anyone here familiar with this??

The other Jacksons that I own have custom graphics or quilt tops - What is the consensus on eerie dess swirl??

And finally, is $1200 (give or take) a fair price for a KE2 in this condition?? - How high of an offer would still be considered a good deal??

Originally posted by dark_knight View Post
    I have a chance to buy a 2001 Jackson KE2 for around $1200 (give or take) - It's eerie dess swirl and in mint condition.

I have never owned a KE2 before - I've heard that they tend to be neck-heavy and don't balance well - Is anyone here familiar with this??

The other Jacksons that I own have custom graphics or quilt tops - What is the consensus on eerie dess swirl??

And finally, is $1200 (give or take) a fair price for a KE2 in this condition?? - How high of an offer would still be considered a good deal??
    I dont know prices...but i love the finish! $1200 seems good?

Comment

1200 is good..

They are neck-heavy...one of the reasons why I will be selling mine (I find the dinky's much easier to play/get used to....and this is a DK2T).

If you like it, buy it.

Comment

In this case, I'd be buying it without playing it, or any KE2 for that matter - That's why I'm looking for advice on that particular model from KE2 owners.

Comment

I thought the neck dive issue was mainly to do with the body shape. I had to relocate the strap pin on my (ex-)KE3. I found the same inconsistency in balance Rhoads models. Neckthrus already have the front strap pin already center-placed, so there's less of a balance issue, but it's still noticeable, just not as much as you'd get from a bolt-on version without the pin mod.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I moved the strap pin on my Kelly pro which helped but I just cannot get a good playing position when sitting down with mine. Definitely will be selling mine. I'd say try one out locally if you can before buying it.
            www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I have a KE1T and it has a slight balance issue but I wouldn't let that affect my decision. A wider strap will help with the nose dive. As for the eerie dess finish, it is awesome on the USA guitars and totally different than the ED that you see on the imports. I would say that $1200 is pretty fair if it's mint.

Comment

i wanted one REALLY bad, got to play one and passed. i bought another soloist. i love the shape, but the nose-diving got on my nerves. as far as EDS, not my favorite, but if you like that is cool. i think 1200 seems pretty good, especially if it is mint....
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yea it does nose dive, gotta use a leather strap or relocate the strap (which i wouldnt on a USA) but the eerie dess looks 100X better on a U.S model than an import do i would consider it for that price . good luck

Comment

I use a 2 1/4" leather strap for my KE2 and do not have a problem.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

+1 to resolving the balance issue with a wider strap. It's never bothered me at all.

About the only issue I find is the (slightly) restricted access up to the 24th fret. Kellys are major kick@ss guitars. Love em.

Comment

Kellys are very sexy. I prefer mine black with blacked out hardware.

I have a KE3 with a DK1 neck, but I may decide to get a KE2 someday.

How did Marty deal with the balance issue? I never heard him complain about his sig axe.

$1200 seems kind of high for a guitar everyone hates and wants to sell

Comment

Mine's a bit neck heavy. I'd buy another if I got a great deal. But, all else equal, I'd take a King V instead.

Comment

I can't comment on the balance issue since I've never played one standing.

Get pictures of that guitar's EDS. Like all graphics (flame and quilt tops too) some are gorgeous, some not so much. EDS and nebula vary quite a bit from guitar to guitar. Most nebulas are cool, some EDS just wouldn't satisfy me. I ended up with acapulco gold since I couldn't live with ordering an EDS unseen.

Comment

Kelly models are neck-heavy, because of the smaller Marty Friedman sized body. As opposed to the original King Kelly design. The easiest fix is to remove the rear strap button and replace the upper rear screw of the tremolo cavity cover plate with it.

There are more radical ways of fixing the problem (installing metal rods in the tail) but that easy mod will work.
                              please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Working...
                              X