25th Anniversary Double Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th Anniversary Double Rhoads

Wondering if anyone here either owns or has played the 25th Anniversary Double Rhoads King V - I know that they are limited to 25 pieces, and all of them were done in silver.

I think that the pickup configuration is the typical Seymour Duncan pair - TB4/SH2 - It really looks like a larger KV2, except it has 22 frets and a toggle switch instead of 24 frets and a blade selector switch.

The Floyd Rose appears to be non-recessed - I guess they tried to match the original configuration - It's also signed on the back of the headstock by Mike Shannon and Tim Wilson.

What's the consensus of the forum??

Originally posted by RD
    I PLAYED ONE AT NAMM LAST YEAR... IT WAS BADASS. I WANT THE SAME GUITAR JUST STRING THRU BODY WITH EMG'S AND A CUSTOM PAINT JOB. THERE IS ONE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-25th-Ann...QQcmdZViewItem
    Just string thru, emgs and a custom paint job? What else dude, that makes a whole different guitar
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

My understanding is that the Silver 25th KVs came about because Jackson built the first run of JCF02 (Robbin Crosby Big Red tribute) incorrectly (wrong body wood?), so instead of destroying the guitars, they finished them in silver and so these became one of the 25th Anniversary models....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Was that the type of guitar that Dave Mustaine played before the KV1??

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
          My understanding is that the Silver 25th KVs came about because Jackson built the first run of JCF02 (Robbin Crosby Big Red tribute) incorrectly (wrong body wood?), so instead of destroying the guitars, they finished them in silver and so these became one of the 25th Anniversary models....
          nah....jackson was really nervous about the jcf screw counters, so they made one prototype that was fully finished, and sent it out to eastons. when it arrived, i went over there to check it out. the headstock paint was wrong (they matched it), the clear was polyester (was to be polyurethane), and the control layout was wrong. still a screamin' guitar, and i hope it's still serving jcf'r ej very well.

then jackson made another prototype and sent it out for inspection. what i liked about this one was that it was unfinished. i noticed that the wings were alder; they were supposed to be poplar. this guitar was finished as mine (i wrote "hi mike!" in blue sharpie in the trem cavity in response to him writing a greeting in the control cavity. the cavity writings were not painted over, but they were cleared over.

while this was going on, john walker let kev know that they were planning on doing a double rhoads limited run, but not "necessarily" in the same color as jcf 02. i have to say that i was a little hacked off at that, but easton assured me that they pretty much do that stuff all the time, and reassured me as best as he could that they most likely wouldn't paint their run the same as ours. i was really glad that they didn't paint their run in ferrari red, but mercedes silver?!?!?!? imo, it's a wrong color for a few reasons, but mainly because it's not an old school jackson color.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

here's a couple pix from that time:

the first prototype:

the second prototype:

Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by dark_knight View Post
              Was that the type of guitar that Dave Mustaine played before the KV1??
              no. mustaine played a king v, which is shorter than a double rhoads (which was never a production model).

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                then jackson made another prototype and sent it out for inspection. what i liked about this one was that it was unfinished. i noticed that the wings were alder; they were supposed to be poplar.
                That's interesting Sully. I can't remember for sure who told me that, but it was definitely someone who should have known. Knowing how things can go over at the CS, is there a chance that they'd already built the rest guitars out of alder at the same time as the 'proto'?

i wrote "hi mike!" in blue sharpie in the trem cavity in response to him writing a greeting in the control cavity. the cavity writings were not painted over, but they were cleared over.
                Now that's very cool

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  That's interesting Sully. I can't remember for sure who told me that, but it was definitely someone who should have known. Knowing how things can go over at the CS, is there a chance that they'd already built the rest guitars out of alder at the same time as the 'proto'?
                  actually, i don't think that they did; i know that there's usually a few extras made when they do a run (they did that for jcf01), but i know that tim, john walker, and a few others were really leery of the jcf run, especially considering all of the issues and flame throwing that happened with jcf01. i remember being very impressed that they actually refused to make any more guitars until the proto was approved.

one of the coolest things for me was seeing the unfinished prototype; it wasn't shipped in a case; just massive amounts of bubble wrap inside a shipping carton. as someone who loves working on guitars, it was SO kickass to see an unfinished guitar coming from jackson. the excess glue from the binding was still on the fretboard, and the body was rough sanded, at best.

here's a shot of the headstock; check the glue on the floyd shelf!

Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I wasn't involved with either of the JCF runs, so I bow to your knowledge of things at the time! It's great to see pics like that - they really should send customers progress pics as a matter of course, rather than disaster avoidance!

Comment

agreed! i remember how curt saved the day with jcf01! he was at the factory the day they were about to be painted....BLACK! thankfully, he set them straight. talk about good timing, eh?

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Now that's a story I'd not heard! That sort of thing just makes me marvel at how they're still in business.....

Comment

yeah, i believe that newc's jcf 01 may have been painted black; when he put it up for sale, it had wing damage, with what seemed to be black paint underneath. crazy, i tells ya.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Doesn't surprise me, but then it's got to the point where I'll believe any story about the CS now

Comment

yeah, i believe that newc's jcf 01 may have been painted black; when he put it up for sale, it had wing damage, with what seemed to be black paint underneath. crazy, i tells ya.

sully
                              I chipped my Ferarri Red KV2 a couple weeks ago and the primer is black underneath. I would have thought it would be white or gray.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X