My new toy from the CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy from the CS

I realised that I've not posted any of my new guitars here for ages, so it's probably time to at least show one new toy! There's a little bit of a story behind this guitar, but it's probably not worth going into now.....

Basically, the guitar is a full mahogany XTRR with a 3/4" quilt top. I know some people dislike abalone inlays, and others dislike (hate?!) the flip flop inlays, but I really wanted to do something a bit different with this guitar so there was no mistake that it was a custom shop instrument. Not least because I didn't want an 'effective duplicate' to my trans black XTRR!

Jackson sent me some pics of the rough sawn guitar, and of choices of wood for the top and frankly, the more pics I could get the better!

I had supplied a multitude of pics to illustrate the colour I wanted, and the guys at Jackson actually organised for a small piece of quilt veneer to be sprayed and then sent to me for approval. Which was very cool.... It's basically the same colour purple as used on the Musicman EVH, which was a colour I've liked for ages. It's quite a 'blue' purple, rather than a 'red' purple, if that makes sense. Anyway, I got some pics after paint as well:

The second pic scared me somewhat, as the back looked quite orange, rather than the cherry of the back of a Les Paul. I got the guys at Jackson to check it out, and they assured me that the back was the right colour, so on it went for final assembly etc. Mike Kotzen sent me an 'official' pic that had been taken at the factory, which did nothing to cure my impatience

Anyway, the guitar arrived safe and sound today, and by a stroke of good fortune, I have the day off work - hurrah!! Needless to say, I've had a check of the guitar to ensure everything is as it should be as per the w/o, and rather than getting all excited and taking pictures straight away, I plugged this one in as soon as I got it back and just got 'introduced' to it.

First impressions are very, very positive - it's got a great, full sound which still retains some 'edge', I guess because of the mahogany / maple combination. I've had a good look over it, and the construction appears to be absolutely flawless - the binding is immaculate, the paint is top notch etc. The only comment so far is that the ebony looks a little dry, but I expect that a little drop of lemon oil should sort that out. I'm kind of hesitant to say too much more in case I find something wrong at a later time, so for now, let's just leave it that I'm very happy with it indeed.

Anyway, onto my pics - not the best as usual, but I think they're OK, for now at least

Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

holy carp! nice guitar, sir!!!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

As Borat would say: "Verrry Naiiice!"
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Where's the pickup selector? Pull-up volume pot or something?
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

beautiful guitar congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
            Where's the pickup selector? Pull-up volume pot or something?
            Yup

Comment

Dude that guitar is amazing!
              I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thats Damn Nice! Congrats!
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Not only does it have flip flop inlays (I'll reserve my opinion), it has a flip flop look overall!
                  It looks like a killer player. The 3/4 top is stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    As Borat would say: "Verrry Naiiice!"
                    Actually, he would say "Verrrry naiiice, how much?"

Comment

That's a really nice quilt top. Just curious if you dealt with a Canadian dealer and if so who?

Comment

Very nice to see what the custom shop can put out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                          Not only does it have flip flop inlays (I'll reserve my opinion), it has a flip flop look overall!
                          It looks like a killer player. The 3/4 top is stunning.
                          It's not even your typical flip-flop inlays which are normal and then reversed. This is much cooler! Awesome guitar, love everything about it!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like everything about it. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                              Just curious if you dealt with a Canadian dealer and if so who?
                              Nope, I ordered this one through Musiczoo in NY. I've not dealt with any Canadian dealers, but frankly, I'd rather deal with a store with an established relationship with the CS rather than taking my chances up here!

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              It's not even your typical flip-flop inlays which are normal and then reversed. This is much cooler! Awesome guitar, love everything about it!
                              Thanks Joe! Actually, I think the inlays you're referring to are 'zig-zags', but I used to get mixed up as well Zig-zags are 'mirrored' sharkfins and have the 'angle' of the fin alternating. Flip-flop inlays are 'rotated' and have the angle the same on each inlay....if that makes any sense!

Comment

Working...
                              X