Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with questions

Hello folks,

I've been lurking for a wee bit but now that I'm starting to plan out a custom Jackson build, I've decided to pony up and join the boards.

I've owned 5 custom Jacksons in the past (mid - late 80s) which I regretably got rid of (what I was thinking I do not know) and now that mid-life is upon me, I want to relive my youth and order a custom shop Jackson.

Anyway, I tried searching for the information here but for some reason, the searchs are timing out so pleas excuse for just posing my questions to the group.

After going over the Jackson Custom Shop quote form, here are the questions I have:

1) Under Neck Description, the two options are "Jackson style" and "San Dimas style". What is the difference between the two?

2) Under Neck Back Shape, the two options are "Standard - Like SL1" and "Speed - Like KV-2". I know this option refers to some degree to the thickness of the neck. The SL-1 is 0.79" at the 3rd fret and 0.85" at the 12th fret. Would someone be so kind as to let me know what the dimensions are on the Speed neck please ?

3) Last but not least, there are not Jackson Custom Shop dealers close by so I'm going to have to order one over the 'Net. I've found what appear to be some decent Jackson CS dealers online but I'm looking for recommendations. I've got a really good idea of what I want except for the actual finish which will take a little while to design. I will need to spend a little time on the phone with the dealer I choose to go with but I sure as heck won't be jerking their chain. When I've got the build all planned out, I'll be ready to go. That being said, I'll be spending a decent amount of change so I'll want to feel like I'm in good hands.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your help and if you interested, you can see a couple of custom refinished Ibanez PGM301s I have. They may not be Jacksons but I still think they're pretty cool.

Considering how much this guitar will probably cost me and how long it will take, I don't want to put more than half down when I order it and I don't know what most dealers require down for CS Jackson orders. The chain I used to work for required 50% down so I'm hoping I can find a dealer who will do the same.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 04-17-2008, 07:43 AM.

Hi! I can't help with all of your questions..but as far as dealers go..at the very top of the page, you'll see a thing that says dealers. Click that. There are some great folks here that will help you out.

Comment

Hey that jester PGM looks pretty sharp. Was that Sims custom shop out of TN who did the work?

Comment

Welcome to the forum,

The dimensions of the speed neck are 3rd fret: .775” and 12th fret: .835”. I have a Soloist and a King V. The neck of the King V is noticably slimmer. I've grown to like really like both, but I love the speed neck.

If you look in the feedback part of the forum, you'll find that most of the sponsering dealers have arranged CS guitars for folks from a distance and received positive feedback. I don't think any of them require you pay everything up front. Probably the best thing is to PM one of the board's dealers with your specs and let them get a quote for you. They'll give you an indication of payment terms.

Cheers,

Ken
        Last edited by ken; 03-21-2008, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Could neck style have to do with the headstock (pointy vs strathead)?
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Could neck style have to do with the headstock (pointy vs strathead)?
            In Sakeido's thread in this section, Shreddermon implied that was the case, with pseudo-strathead being "San Dimas", but as there is now a seperate entry on the custom form for headstock shape. So, basically, I don't know .

Here's Shreddermon's post:

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            Interesting. Previously, there wasn't a separate field for headstock shape before. They must've changed this? The "neck description" field meant headstock type (yes, this confused many people) and the "San Dimas Style" option meant the old PC1 headstock.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Hey that jester PGM looks pretty sharp. Was that Sims custom shop out of TN who did the work?
              You are correct. I came up with the design and he did the refin. He also did the fabric chili pepper refin too.

Comment

Thank you for all the info folks.

When I access the Dealers page from here at work using Firefox, the only dealersthat shows up (Piney Hill and OnlineStageGear) either don't have Jacksons listed (Piney Hill) or aren't listed as custom shop dealers. I accessed the Dealers page from home and then I saw all the dealers I'm supposed to. I'll give Matt's Music Center a try. I've seen his ad on Jemsite, he's from my old stomping grounds (New England) and I trust Matts because I am one.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  Welcome to the forum,

The dimensions of the speed neck are 3rd fret: .775” and 12th fret: .835”. I have a Soloist and a King V. The neck of the King V is noticably slimmer. I've grown to like really like both, but I love the speed neck.
                  Hmmm. If the numbers I've found are correct then the neck on the DK1 is a little slimmer (3rd = 0.75" 12th = 0.81"). I'm used to playing my PGMs for the most part so while I prefer a slimmer neck, it's not a big difference.

Ibanez
                  • 18mm (0.71"
                  • 20mm (0.79")
                  Dinky DK1
                  • 3rd = 0.75" (19mm)
                  • 12th = 0.81 (20.6mm)
                  Speed
                  • 3rd fret = 0.775” (19.7mm)
                  • 12th fret = 0.835” (21.2mm
                  Soloist
                  • 3rd = 0.79" (20.1mm)
                  • 12th = 0.85 (21.6mm)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                    You are correct. I came up with the design and he did the refin. He also did the fabric chili pepper refin too.
                    Kickass. He is doing a blood splatter on my RG570 at the moment.

Comment

Hmmm. If the numbers I've found are correct then the neck on the DK1 is a little slimmer (3rd = 0.75" 12th = 0.81"). I'm used to playing my PGMs for the most part so while I prefer a slimmer neck, it's not a big difference.
                      It's mainly the back of the neck shape which makes the soloist and KV feel different. The soloist's is quite a lot more rounded than the KV's. Probably best to play both and see which you prefer.
                      Last edited by ken; 03-21-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                        It's mainly the back of the neck shape which makes the soloist and KV feel different. The soloist's is quite a lot more rounded than the KV's. Probably best to play both and see which you prefer.
                        Unless the non-custom shop Jacksons have similar necks, I really don't have a chance to check one out locally.

I'm not that picky about neck size and shape as long as it's not too thick (front to back) or too wide (side-to-side). Besides the PGMs, I've got a Gibson LP Classic w/the slim neck, a Brian May Sig series (and that neck is kinda wide and thick) and an Ovation Adamas. Those guitars have a decent range of neck sizes, profiles, and radii. I'll probably just go for the speed neck.

Comment

Welcome, those PGM's look really cool. Paul would be proud!
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                            Welcome, those PGM's look really cool. Paul would be proud!
                            they are good, i really like the chilli pepper one, very different!!

Comment

Unless the non-custom shop Jacksons have similar necks, I really don't have a chance to check one out locally.
                              If you can get your hands on current USA guitars, you can try out both neck shapes. The KV2 and WR1 have the speed neck profile, most others have soloist spec. including the RR, but not the Dinky (as you already noted).

Comment

Working...
                              X