Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for "good idea" "bad idea"

Opinions welcome

As most of you know I have recently traded my RR1T for a KV2.

Yesterday when I was surfing the net I encountered this.

Whammy Parts sells current and vintage guitar parts.

What do you guys think about me getting a Luthier to fill in the floyd route on the KV2, and installing the kahler flat mount?

Are there any red flags that pop up? LIke F-spaced pickups with a Fixed bridge? Or...well I don't know. I called my local Luthier today, but I guess he'll be away until next Thursday, so I won't be able to ask him until then.

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
    Opinions welcome

As most of you know I have recently traded my RR1T for a KV2.

Yesterday when I was surfing the net I encountered this.

What do you guys think about me getting a Luthier to fill in the floyd route on the KV2, and installing the kahler flat mount?

Are there any red flags that pop up? LIke F-spaced pickups with a Fixed bridge? Or...well I don't know. I called my local Luthier today, but I guess he'll be away until next Thursday, so I won't be able to ask him until then.

oh no my baby
    As long as you get a good luther it should be fine. And it has EMG's so the spacing doesn't mater.
    Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Block the Floyd it'll stabilize your bridge and is reversible. Or sell your KV2 and buy one that is string through the body.Either way it'll cost you less thenwhat you plan on doing.

Comment

http://www.axewielder.com/King%20V%2...%20Machine.htm

Maybe this will help?

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          Block the Floyd it'll stabilize your bridge and is reversible. Or sell your KV2 and buy one that is string through the body.Either way it'll cost you less thenwhat you plan on doing.
          agreed!

Comment

...or get one these,

http://www.wammiworld.com/Adaptor%20plates.html

They look pretty ugly btw
            If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

hmmmmm

so I should probably just block the floyd then.

I guess it will be up to the Luthier to tell me how much it would cost to fill in the route's, and set it up. I'm not concerned about the locking nuts, I think I'll keep them actually.

I remember reading axewielder's king V story a few weeks ago. What an awesome guitar. I don't think that I'll do anything that extreme.

I'll ask him for a rough estimate on Thursday (just to fill in the routes, install the bridge, and set it up), and I'll update...with what he says..

Thank you all for your help!

WOOT!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderhead View Post
                ...or get one these,

They look pretty ugly btw
                That's fugly...

Comment

If you want to convert it to being a fixed bridge, then you could install a tremol-no:

It's an easy way of blocking the Floyd without doing any damage the guitar and is reversible.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                    Block the Floyd it'll stabilize your bridge and is reversible. Or sell your KV2 and buy one that is string through the body.Either way it'll cost you less then what you plan on doing.
                    Originally posted by Mat View Post
                    agreed!
                    +3. You could always drop the Floyd to the body and then shim the saddles up.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      +3. You could always drop the Floyd to the body and then shim the saddles up.
                      Please elaborate...

Shim saddles?

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                        If you want to convert it to being a fixed bridge, then you could install a tremol-no:

It's an easy way of blocking the Floyd without doing any damage the guitar and is reversible.

The thing with Tremel no, is that it will really only support the weight of two or three strings. You can't actually lock it, then change the tuning of your guitar, the tremel no will move under that much weight...

But it is an awesome tool, just not really what I'm looking for.

Comment

Please elaborate...

Shim saddles?
                          Actually, I'm sorry, disregard my statement, since you've got a KV2 which has a recessed trem. I guess you can still use them if you're not happy with the curvature of the your saddles.

They sell metal shims that you can put under the saddles to raise them up. I had a bunch of these shims around and used them on my Charvel Star (non-recessed Floyd) since I prefer to dive-bomb only. I lowered the bridge to rest on the body, but the strings were then too low and fretting out on the board, so the shims put them up higher so I wouldn't have a problem.

You could just always block the trem with a piece of wood for dive-bomb only, or put two pieces of wood (one on each side of the Floyd block) so your bridge won't move at all.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The thing with Tremel no, is that it will really only support the weight of two or three strings. You can't actually lock it, then change the tuning of your guitar, the tremel no will move under that much weight...

But it is an awesome tool, just not really what I'm looking for.
                            According to their blurb, if you full lock the trem, you should be able to do alternate tunings:

"With a Tremol-No™ installed, you can now do all your favorite alternate tunings on guitars you previously couldn't. Yes- even those with full floating trems."

Oddly enough, I ordered one for my KV2 earlier today before I read your thread, so I hope that's the case and that they don't mean you have to alter the tremolo-no each time you change the tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                              According to their blurb, if you full lock the trem, you should be able to do alternate tunings:

"With a Tremol-No™ installed, you can now do all your favorite alternate tunings on guitars you previously couldn't. Yes- even those with full floating trems."

Oddly enough, I ordered one for my KV2 earlier today before I read your thread, so I hope that's the case and that they don't mean you have to alter the tremolo-no each time you change the tuning.
                              you do if you move the tuning more than a half step
                              Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Working...
                              X