Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kahler/JT6 to Floyd nut conversion - how I did it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler/JT6 to Floyd nut conversion - how I did it.

Having done a temporary job, and decided I'd never go back to the JT6/Kahler style nut lock, here's my permanent job in pictures.

The job entailed:
    - removing existing nut and preparing the area where the Floyd would sit
    - creating a little maple table as shown in the pic (NB it's a lot thicker in the pic, it'll be shaved down to only about 1/2mm thick once it's glued on)
    - doing dry runs and reducing the height of the shelf until a straight edge run along the bottom frets just cleared the floyd string slot (this will make the shelf slightly too low, but at this stage I have no idea how much it will rise when I apply the finish to it. Better to aim too low and shim).
    - Note that I top mounted the nut, drilling through the neck was too much of a risk!!! That's what the two holes right where the old nut would be are from, other holes are from the Kahler style locknut.
    - filling the old screw holes, rubbing down the area where old meets new finish, white primer, black auto paint, 1500 grit wet and dry to matt down the whole repair area, then clearcoat over the top.
    - I ended up using a 0.5mm shim to finally fit the nut
    - Note that the truss rod cover is shorter than usual, a "real" Floyd equipped jackson would have had the elongated headstock.

Last edited by Tommie; 03-30-2008, 03:15 AM.

Nicely done!
    Thanks for sharing
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Looks like a nice solid job.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Nice job there! I've seen my fair share of botched conversions over the years.

You may find this thread relocated to the the "Tech Q&A" section.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
        X