Custom shop serial number initial letter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop serial number initial letter question

I saw many custom shop guitar has the serial number with the initial letter "J", while some other custom shop model has the serial number with the initial letter "U", why? Thanks.

"U" is regular production neck thru, not a Custom Shop piece.
    "J" followed by 4 digits is a neck thru Custom Shop piece.
    Not to be confused by the serial "J" followed by 6 digits, which is an import model.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/resour...ialnumbers.php
    -Rick

Comment

Well I was about to actually post a question similar to this. The auction linked below is to a Randy Rhoads I came across the other night, and it has something peculiar. While it has a U serial number, the headstock has the custom shop logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-RANDY-RH...QQcmdZViewItem

any idea? Ive seen a few like this before, as well. I believe a few Mike Learn pieces might have had the same situation?

Comment

That's an interesting one for sure.
        They say it's "Team Built"... which probably means they grabbed a production body and made the CS tweaks to it. According to the specs, the inlays, paint and pickups are the only things that appear to be non-standard.
        So grabbing a Select body for this would not seem out of the question.
        -Rick

Comment

There are a lot of custom shop Jacksons with the U serial. Especially recently.

They are "mostly" guitars that have the same wood construction or wood work with a USA select. That guitar is an RR1 except for the finish so that's why
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Yeah, the lines between 'U' and 'J' serials seem to have kind of blurred somewhat recently.

Personally, I don't consider a guitar to be a custom if the guitar has a U serial and has exactly the same specs as a USA select model, with only the finish differing.
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Yeah, the lines between 'U' and 'J' serials seem to have kind of blurred somewhat recently.

Personally, I don't consider a guitar to be a custom if the guitar has a U serial and has exactly the same specs as a USA select model, with only the finish differing.

Agreed, a custom should have a unique "Jx..x" serial imo
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the valuable inputs. When I choose a CS model, I would buy one with "J"+4digits serial, which seems more decent and authentic to me

Comment

I was looking at drumcityguitarland's inventory and I realised this

Look at the serial, custom shop logo and the hang tag. It's actully named a ke-2

I think it's not about the serials but the custom shop logo. They are putting the custom shop logo on everything with a custom feature from what I can see so it doesn't imply it's a custom Jackson, that's why the serial..
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Who cares about the serial number, what's the cup size?

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                      Who cares about the serial number, what's the cup size?
                      Lefty looks like a C and Righty looks like a B. It happens that way sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                        I was looking at drumcityguitarland's inventory and I realised this

Look at the serial, custom shop logo and the hang tag. It's actully named a ke-2

I think it's not about the serials but the custom shop logo. They are putting the custom shop logo on everything with a custom feature from what I can see so it doesn't imply it's a custom Jackson, that's why the serial..
                        Yes, I agree. I suppose Jackson used excessively the custom shop logo on the headstocks of some USA select guitars with custom features nowadays, Jackson dose know the attraction of custom shop logo.

So JXXXX could be the only safe choose which represents much higher quality

Comment

Originally posted by Armageddon View Post
                          So JXXXX could be the only safe choice which represents much higher quality
                          The quality theoretically shouldn't be 'much higher' on a custom, as the custom guitars are made by the same people in the same facility as the USA Selects. It's just that the CS guitars are (normally) one-offs with user chosen specs, whereas USA Selects are made in batches of 10 to set specs.
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                          X