Newbie question about necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question about necks

I've been reading a lot of people talk about the "speed" of the necks on various models on here and some other boards (KV2, KE2 and Soloist) and people always say that the V and KE have the "fastest" necks of all Jacksons. Can someone please explain to me how/why this is? I'm just curious, as I've never really seen this discussed with other brands. I've always been a BC Rich guy, so....

I always thought my Fusion had a faster neck than my SL-1. Maybe the shorter scale and not as fat neck? Not sure about the others.

Be nice if there was a chart somewhere with neck specs? Anyone?
    07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

The term "speed neck" typically means it has a thinner profile.
      Reality... it's complete marketing bullshit. Speed is in the hands, not the neck.
      -Rick

Comment

speed is in the hands......but the thin kv2 neck feels oh so good.

Comment

The KV2 and KE have a flatter more D shaped neck. The KV2 even has thinner taller frets (my preference).

To contrast that, the RR1 has jumbo frets and a rounder neck.

I don't think that one neck is faster or better than the other, it just depends what feels best in your hands. You should try all of them.

Comment

I agree with Brooke,
            I have an RR1 and an SL2. The neck of my RR1 is more round, while the neck of my soloist has a thinner profile...which feels better to my hand....whcih consequently, helps me play fast more comfortably!! Try em all, buy em all, give me the ones you don't want....I don't care about speed
            Last edited by DC_rhoads82; 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I was basing my "faster" on the thinner smaller neck of my Fusion. I had to sell my SL-1 because the neck was too fat (lack of a better term) and it was hurting my fret hand. (Had a bout with tendinitis.)

Fast is a generic term. I can shred just as well on a LP as I can my Fusion. Comfort is the key, not speed.
              07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

Fusion is a short scale like a Gibson (24 3/4").

It also is the thinnest of Jackson necks.

My SL2H is fatter, but my Gibsons (all thin LPs - R0, Classic, and 60s Standard) are even fatter. If your SL-1 was too fat, it must have been a freak.

Comment

I can confirm my DK1 has a crazy thin neck with huge frets, much thinner than an sl2h and a custom shop sl2h, and definately thinner than my RR1.

Comment

I have a DK1, and the Fusions are thinner. I'm a thin nut and love them. I wish the SL2H was as thin, but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I can deal with up to the Gibson 50s neck on my 1998 SG (yes, I know they didn't come with a 50s or 60s neck, but it's definitely fatter than my 60s LP Standard, and very similar to 50s necked LPs I've tried).

I hate Gibson baseball bats, even the slightly thinner R9.

Comment

If this guy doesn't pay me for the auction he won, i'll have a 1990 fusion for sale.
                      I don't like the short scale, mostly because going back and forth from a 25.5 scale guitar, if messes with my fingering. I can't get used to it.
                      Over all, i used to like thin thin necks, but now, i'm much more comfortable with a regular strat style neck. Whatever is more comfortable for your hands, then that's the fastest neck for YOU.

Comment

Trem, sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Fusion is a short scale like a Gibson (24 3/4").

It also is the thinnest of Jackson necks.

My SL2H is fatter, but my Gibsons (all thin LPs - R0, Classic, and 60s Standard) are even fatter. If your SL-1 was too fat, it must have been a freak.
                          It was just uncomfortable on my fret hand. I felt pain playing on it. Not sure of the specs but my Ibanez J Custom neck is 19.5 at the first fret. That is about the max I can handle these days without pain.

Comment

The early 90s Soloist Professionals had really thin necks. My 06 SL2H neck is much fatter then my Soloist XL. Do they make a really thin neck now? I'd really like something close to my XL's.

Comment

I guess the KV2 and KE2 have thin speed necks, but I've never had either to know first hand compared to my SL2H or RR1's.

Comment

Working...
                              X