I think I hate the tone of my SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I hate the tone of my SL1

I really like the way my SL1 plays, its a great guitar, but I found the tone to be very thin and cold. So I swapped the JB out for a Super 3 thinking the Super 3 would give me the meat im looking for, and in some ways it does, but Im not totally satisfied with it. I still find myself rolling back the tone, and it doesnt seem to be a very dynamic pickup, its either full volume meat grinder or it's crap. And it doesnt compliment the duncan single coils at all.

In honesty, in terms of tone the SL1 doesnt hold a candle to my Charvel Predator, which is currently running a JB in the bridge and a lil'59 in the neck. In terms of playability I like the Charvel better, it just 'feels' right. With the Sl1 I feel like I'm constantly looking for something that just isnt there.

Its hard to believe Im saying this....
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

sorry man. sounds like you got a dog of an SL1. So just send it too me. And i'll put it out of its misery.
    Gil

Comment

But a X2N in the bridge. You'll be overwhelmed by "meat".
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I'll trade you my Mod 4 for even up?

Comment

Try a SD distortion or a Dimarzio super distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
            But a X2N in the bridge. You'll be overwhelmed by "meat".
            +1
            Last week I swapped the stock PU on my Fusion ! X2N is the deal
            uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

How about a Duncan Custom on it?
              '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
              '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

Sounds to me like you may just be used to playing your Predator more. Give it time.

Comment

Bill Lawrence XL500-L?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    Sounds to me like you may just be used to playing your Predator more. Give it time.
                    Actually, I've had the Sl1 for about a year now, and loved it. Then I got an itching for an easy project so I got the predator. Ever since getting the pred. I can't seem to find the love for my SL1 that I once had.

I've gotten pretty good at doing setups, but this guitar just feels "off". I think im gonna take it to a shop that I trust and have them do a nut to bridge setup on it and make whatever adjustments necessary. Maybe they can find the sweet spot in the setup that I just cant seem to find. If all else fails I'll sell it and get a DK1.
                    Guitars:
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I felt the same way when I got my USA DR2 years ago. The stock Screamin' Demon was the opposite of everything I wanted, but I was new to the concept of part replacement and wanted to avoid changing anything out. Eventually, I caved in and bought a Full Shred, and it was a night-and-day difference. My `90 Soloist Pro had a Duncan Custom in the bridge when I bought it, and as with the DR2, I wasn't happy with the tone. I again went with a Full Shred, and again was very happy. Since then, I've experimented a lot more with pickups and have really changed my opinion on some guitars that I'd almost given up on.

I'll probably try a DiMarzio D-Sonic next time I'm doing a swap.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                        Actually, I've had the Sl1 for about a year now, and loved it. Then I got an itching for an easy project so I got the predator. Ever since getting the pred. I can't seem to find the love for my SL1 that I once had.
                        Might just be new guitar syndrome from what you just said.

My SL2H is the most recent guitar I've purchased, and it's been THE guitar I go to since I've bought it, and I have 30 guitars to choose from (4 LPs, 2 SGs, 2 RR1s, ....).

This is the first time I've really had a JB in a guitar, and there is just something I love about it in this guitar. The leads sing just beautifully. The 59n matches up with it perfectly. It's got great growl. It's nailing Loudness, Megadeth, Ratt, (insert 80s band)... perfectly.

So getting back to your SL1, maybe it is a dud? I don't know, but all I can say is that this SL2H of mine has really won my heart. It seems really odd that you like the JB in the predator and not the SL1, but in a similar fashion, I have a DK2 with a Duncan Designed JB that doesn't light my fire like the JB in my SL2H does. Of course that could be that the DD TB4 isn't the same as the SD TB4.

"If" I were to swap out the JB (not going to happen), my next choice would be the full shred or a Distortion. I have a Distortion in my 750XL, and while I like it for some things, I like the SL2H with the JB better at the moment.

I just think my SL2H has that "magic" something, even with the stock pickups. It's definitely a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Might just be new guitar syndrome from what you just said.

My SL2H is the most recent guitar I've purchased, and it's been THE guitar I go to since I've bought it, and I have 30 guitars to choose from (4 LPs, 2 SGs, 2 RR1s, ....).

This is the first time I've really had a JB in a guitar, and there is just something I love about it in this guitar. The leads sing just beautifully. The 59n matches up with it perfectly. It's got great growl. It's nailing Loudness, Megadeth, Ratt, (insert 80s band)... perfectly.

So getting back to your SL1, maybe it is a dud? I don't know, but all I can say is that this SL2H of mine has really won my heart. It seems really odd that you like the JB in the predator and not the SL1, but in a similar fashion, I have a DK2 with a Duncan Designed JB that doesn't light my fire like the JB in my SL2H does. Of course that could be that the DD TB4 isn't the same as the SD TB4.

"If" I were to swap out the JB (not going to happen), my next choice would be the full shred or a Distortion. I have a Distortion in my 750XL, and while I like it for some things, I like the SL2H with the JB better at the moment.

I just think my SL2H has that "magic" something, even with the stock pickups. It's definitely a keeper.
                          So I got home, picked up the SL1, did a re-tune and setup, adjusted the bridge pickup height a hair higher, and then just jammed for a good hour. In that hour I remembered exactly why I bought that Sl1 in the first place, it just freaking sang. Can't explain it, I just didnt want to put it down.

I have the guitar I married, and the one I cheat on her with...

-Steve.
                          Guitars:
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by RD
                            Stick in an X2N, JB jr. and a Li'l Screamin' Demon!!!

That will bring it to a roar..

How does the X2N compare to say a JB or the Super 3?
                            Guitars:
                            Amp:
                            VOX AD30VT

Comment

I'm sitting here with my Bengal SL2H, and that is the deal with these, they SING. I wish I had one of my Les Pauls to compare against it, but it's that singing quality that makes people go after LP's. I just never get bored with this tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X