Anyone own a sl2 MAH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a sl2 MAH?

Want to know what kind of tone they give, is it like a les paul? Can you get al di meola like tones? Thankss

I have a slatqh which has a similar build I believe except no whammy. I also have a LP custom. The slatqh does not sound like the LP. I really like them both for different reasons. I've tried the same bridge pickups in both (BL xl-500, SD JB, Gibson 498 T) and they always sound different. I imagine the trem makes a big difference as well but I don't know from experience.

Comment

hmm, kinda wanted to get a 2 in 1 type thing. les paul and soloist. Is the tone much thicker than the standard jackson? Warmer clean sounds?
      Dont get the chance to try out many usa jacksons in the uk.....

Comment

I've been curious about that for a while too, being an old LP owner, who now likes thin necks and floyds.
        But it's funny even Les Pauls and SG sound pretty different although they are very close in construction and identical in hardware.

I guess guitar tone is really a mystery

Comment

The slatqh does have nice warm sound when played clean but I can definitely hear its inner-strat when I play the neck pup. That's even with a humbucker in the neck. Clean, you would never mistake it for a Gibson.

Comment

I do like the tone of the sl2h-mah over the sl2h but it doesn't sound like a les paul. The clean tones of the -mah are quite good. A lot impacts tone, the maple top on the gibson is thicker, set neck vs neck through, bridge . . .

Comment

hmm well thanks for the help, still think the mah in a natural finish will be the next choice in guitar though love the soloists more than i could ever a love a les paul lol

Comment

They are great, I made the same choice and love it.

Comment

god damm thats nice

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                    A lot impacts tone, the maple top on the gibson is thicker, set neck vs neck through, bridge . . .
                    A Les Paul also has a shorter scale length compared to the Jackson.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      A Les Paul also has a shorter scale length compared to the Jackson.
                      Which is exactly why I refuse to play them. My guitars all have 25.5" scale length and I'm not going to alter my playing just so I can play the "mighty Les Paul". Fuck Gibson.

And yes, those mahogany SL2H's like mjtripper's are fucking sweetness!!!

Comment

I don't mind either scale length. If someone wants a short-scale Jackson at the moment, they have the choice of either the MM1 Mark Morton Dominion (I have one and really like it) or the KV2T.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

could get a second hand fusion for the shorter scale but you don't get the through neck and mahogany....

Comment

I have no problem transitioning between a Jackson and Gibson personally. While I've grown accustomed to the Jackson necks and playability I would never choose a Jackson over a Les Paul in terms of sheer tone. There's a reason the Pauls weight 300 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by FatalTragedy View Post
                              I have no problem transitioning between a Jackson and Gibson personally. While I've grown accustomed to the Jackson necks and playability I would never choose a Jackson over a Les Paul in terms of sheer tone. There's a reason the Pauls weight 300 lbs.
                              Yep, the tone is unique on a Les Paul and my back tells me all the time. The SL2HMah will get you semi-close though due to the construction. Pop in a set of '57 Classics or Burstbuckers.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X