Custom Shop versus standard USA Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop versus standard USA Shop?

For some dumb reason I thought all USA Jacksons were custom shop. I guess that's not the case... and this is probably stupid to ask AFTER purchasing a soloist... but...

What's the differences between the Custom Shop Jacksons and the Made in USA Jacksons (or whatever you call them... as they are both made in USA)?

My serial starts with a U so it's a non-Custom shop right? And what will I be missing? Which portion of construction, if any is common to both?

The more details the better! Thanks.

This is my understanding, but things could have changed in the last few months: Both Custom Shop and USA Select Jacksons are made in the same place by the same staff.

- USA Select guitars are made to fixed specs in batches of 10, and as you say, they have U serials.

- Custom Shop guitars are generally one-offs built to customer, store or 'marketing' specs. However, we're seeing more 'duplicates' now than we used to, so it would appear in some cases, they decide they like the specs and build 2. Neck thrus will either have a 'J' or 'RR' serial and bolt-ons have a 4 figure serial (production guitars have a 6 figure #).

As far as construction comparisons / differences go, that's going to depend on what the CS specs are. However, I have noticed that my CS neck-thru guitars have a 'full depth' centre section through the body, whereas on many USA Selects it seems like the centre section is thinner so has a 2-piece construction at the body.
    Last edited by neilli; 04-28-2008, 10:13 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

yep also recently they are putting custom shop logos on production guitars that have custom graphics or finishes. which IMHO arent the same as a custom spec'd guitar.

Comment

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE between the two...they are both made in the same place by the same people.

A SLIGHT difference being...with a true custom order, they actually have to pay a little more attention to detail...

OR NOT, as the case may be
        Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

All were custom order in the SD era.

Comment

All were custom order until the spring of 1990, so some of the Ontario, California models were true customs. Generally the serial number tells all. The Production guitars are limited in woods, colors, graphics, hardware, etc. The Custom guitars are vitually limitless in shape, woods, graphics, etc. There used to be no limitations, but today they won't do certain shapes.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

IMO, CS should use superior quality materials (e.g. lightweight and highly resonated woods with longer years of nature seasoning) and builder should pay more attention to details. Otherwise, what is the value of CS?

I have played USA SL1 and JCS guitars. The unplugged acoustic tone of JCS guitars is better than regular USA SL1 and the craftsmanship is better. This is just my experience.

Comment

"JCS"?

It's my understanding that Mike Shannon and Pablo Santana only do Custom Shop models and Limited Run models, not Production models, so in that sense they're not "built by the same people".

The "value of a Custom Shop" is getting something built to your specs, whether it's basically an SL-1 with a maple board or a Warrior with Death Angel tips. The same quality of materials should be used for both,and the same quality of workmanship should be on both. The main difference between a Custom Shop and a USA Select should be in the specs, not the quality (barring, of course, getting a higher-grade figured wood for the top, neck, or maple fretboard on a model that features a "less than 5-A" wood choice).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  "JCS"?

It's my understanding that Mike Shannon and Pablo Santana only do Custom Shop models and Limited Run models, not Production models, so in that sense they're not "built by the same people".

The "value of a Custom Shop" is getting something built to your specs, whether it's basically an SL-1 with a maple board or a Warrior with Death Angel tips. The same quality of materials should be used for both,and the same quality of workmanship should be on both. The main difference between a Custom Shop and a USA Select should be in the specs, not the quality (barring, of course, getting a higher-grade figured wood for the top, neck, or maple fretboard on a model that features a "less than 5-A" wood choice).
                  JCS = Jackson Custom Shop
                  Because all other famous brand (such as ESP) use premium selected tone woods in custom shop line, which results in better resonate, sustain, simply sounds louder and more open (unplugged acoustic tone) compared with regular production line.

I suppose Jackson is doing the same thing, they are using better materials for CS than USA select series. According to my ear, the unplugged acoustic tone of CS guitars (including dinky, soloist and King V) is much better than USA select guitars. I believe the reason is CS uses higher quality tone woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Armageddon View Post
                    JCS = Jackson Custom Shop
                    Because all other famous brand (such as ESP) use premium selected tone woods in custom shop line, which results in better resonate, sustain, simply sounds louder and more open (unplugged acoustic tone) compared with regular production line.
                    If by ESP's regular production line you are refering to LTD, that's like comparing USA Selects to imports. Going from ESP to the regular line LTD is a way lower step down in quality than Jackson's custom shop to USA select. I have a 1989 ESP M-1 and I've looked at LTD NT400's.
                    Originally posted by Armageddon View Post
                    I suppose Jackson is doing the same thing, they are using better materials for CS than USA select series. According to my ear, the unplugged acoustic tone of CS guitars (including dinky, soloist and King V) is much better than USA select guitars. I believe the reason is CS uses higher quality tone woods.
                    I wish I had a custom shop axe to call you out on this one. All three of my USA Selects are excellent.

This is sounding like the BS topics on the LesPaulForum; USA Gibsons being inferior to Historics. All I have to say, is that the reason I'm here on the JCF is that all I play metal, and when you play metal, who gives a shit about the acoustic tone.

On the LPF, they play that blues and jazz crap, so maybe having a good acoustic tone might make a difference in that world.

FWIW, my SL2H has a great tone and sustain, and I'd have a hard time not keeping it over my Gibson R0 if I were force to sell.
                    Last edited by DonP; 05-01-2008, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      If by ESP's regular production line you are refering to LTD, that's like comparing USA Selects to imports. Going from ESP to the regular line LTD is a way lower step down in quality than Jackson's custom shop to USA select. I have a 1989 ESP M-1 and I've looked at LTD NT400's.
                      I wish I had a custom shop axe to call you out on this one. All three of my USA Selects are excellent.

This is sounding like the BS topics on the LesPaulForum; USA Gibsons being inferior to Historics. All I have to say, is that the reason I'm here on the JCF is that all I play metal, and when you play metal, who gives a shit about the acoustic tone.

On the LPF, they play that blues and jazz crap, so maybe having a good acoustic tone might make a difference in that world.

FWIW, my SL2H has a great tone and sustain, and I'd have a hard time not keeping it over my Gibson R0 if I were force to sell.
                      ESP regular production line I referred to is ESP Standard Series, not LTD.

There is no doubt that USA select soloist is excellent guitar. But Jackson CS guitar do have tone advantage based on my experience. Sure that in hi-gain setting, the acoustic tone advantages are hidden in the heavy distortion. But acoustic tone represents the tone quality of a guitar and its materials. This is the reason why boutique luthiers select tone wood by tap tone.

Comment

Tapping wood is only good to check how dry it is. Moist wood is harder to work with because the sap gums up sharp tools and sanders. Tapping or knocking on a piece of wood will not give you any indication of how it will sound once it's been cut, assembled, primered, painted, and finished.

Acoustic tone of a solid-body electric guitar is also no indication of its amplified tone.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Tapping wood is only good to check how dry it is. Moist wood is harder to work with because the sap gums up sharp tools and sanders. Tapping or knocking on a piece of wood will not give you any indication of how it will sound once it's been cut, assembled, primered, painted, and finished.

Acoustic tone of a solid-body electric guitar is also no indication of its amplified tone.
                          Tapping wood is also a useful way to check wood resonating characteristic. For example, in most case, light weight honduras mahogany sounds better than heavier one. When tapping a light weight honduras mahogany, the sound is more vivid and louder than the heavier one.

When we talk about a top-notch guitar, good acoustic tone is essential. You may have checked other brands like McNaught, TA, Surh, Grosh and so on, the common characteristic of these top-notch guitars is that they all have very good acoustic tone when unplugged. When you play a top-notch guitar, you hear the sound of wood; when you play an ordinary guitar, you hear the sound of strings.

The amplified tone is heavily related with the pickups. IMO, the wood quality and craftmanship defines the overall tone quality of a guitar; the pickup defines the tone color of a guitar

Comment

Working...
                          X