Rhoads LTD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads LTD question

Alright, I asked this a few years ago and a couple people made guesses but no one really had a firm answer. and as a FYI, I did use search and it located nothing (at all it just completed and sat there)

Does anyone know for sure what the body wings of the Jackson Rhoads LTD (1992) are? I noticed most of the limit models that come out (25th aniversary KV, etc) are all poplar.

I've always assumed it was Alder, but I don't know for sure.

Any info would be great

Thanks
    -Jerry
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

it's supposed to be maple, as that's what the original was. considering how off the LTD is from how it was supposed to be, it's anyone's guess. i'm not sanding cavities to find out!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      it's supposed to be maple, as that's what the original was. considering how off the LTD is from how it was supposed to be, it's anyone's guess. i'm not sanding cavities to find out!
      Think anyone at Jackson would actually know? I was thinking about making the attempt to contact someone there, but not sure it would be worth the cost of the call.

Yeah I don't blaim you, I'm not going to sand any of mine to find out either. It would be nice to know though, if it is maple, then I'll be buying another maple guitar

Comment

A maple neck too, right? All maple would be kinda bright wouldn't it?
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Hmmm...I just looked at the sales flyer they gave me when I bought mine and it doesn't say anything about the wood. Maybe maple with alder wings or something?

Comment

I talked to Tim Wilson back when I custom ordered my 24 fret Rhoads because I wanted some similar things to the PCS Rhoads. One of the things I asked about was the woods and he told me the PCS is maple with poplar wings. I'm assuming the LTD's were similar? The reason I say that is if they were all maple then they would probably be much heavier. I have an all maple Soloist and there is no mistaking its weight for a maple/alder model. I know the PCS is not the same guitar as the LTD but thats as close as I can get you as I'm not doing any sanding either just like Sully said
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Actually my LTD is a lot heavier then my alder stuff. Heavier then my poplar stuff as well by a lot

Comment

since tim has retired, the only people that i know of that would have any knowledge would be mike or pablo. there's no info about it on my hang tag, and to me, it's a heavy guitar. i assumed that it was maple because of the weight, and that's also how it was supposed to have been.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  since tim has retired, the only people that i know of that would have any knowledge would be mike or pablo. there's no info about it on my hang tag, and to me, it's a heavy guitar. i assumed that it was maple because of the weight, and that's also how it was supposed to have been.

sully

Cool, Thanks Sully.

Comment

Yep, my LTD is definitely heavier than my RR1. Whatever wood the LTD has, it sounds awesome.

Comment

well, i hate to bring back harmful memories with the picture, but it could solve your question.

You can slightly see the wood on the neck of sully's ltd, and it doesn't look like mahogany, definately maple colored. but this is only the neck, which means the wings could be another type of wood. however i doubt they would use a maple neck and not a full maple body.
                      sigpic

Comment

The neck and body center are maple. Its the wings that are in question. The wings may also be maple or they could be poplar like on the PCS, or alder like on current production Rhoads', or Mahogany.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by randyrhoadsguitar View Post
                          however i doubt they would use a maple neck and not a full maple body.
                          most production jackson neck thrus have a maple neck and body center, so it's pretty common.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I believe it is poplar wings with maple center section as so many others were. The wingtips on mine have been battered, I can post pics if anyone is interested.

This is interesting because I had not previously heard that the original was built with maple wings. Is this documented somewhere?

I also didn't know Tim retired.

I need to read more often!
                            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

hey bret! i was trying to remember your chewed up tips, i'd played that guitar many times before you got it.

grover has shared that the guitar was all maple a few times when he discussed the original guitar's construction.
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X