Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somewhat big problem... how would you fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep a close eye on how deep you drill those outboard holes in the neck...
    No breaky through!
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

I would trim the bad area to the left of the truss rod and shape a piece of maple to replace the missing area glue(tightbond) it in place and clamp it.Let the glue dry then redrill the hole for the screw.I've done this with great results.pretty simple fix.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Doesn't Jackson come with a lifetime warranty?
        "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I hate stupid people.

http://www.myspace.com/28wicked

Comment

Working on the fix, wanted to give 24 hours for the glue to set... if it doesent hold, well go from there. Will update later tonight.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Well, it didnt hold. Theres just simply not enough wood for the screw to bite into even though it feels like it did. A locking nut is under ALOT of stress during useage... so I guess it needs all it can get. God damnit.

Another thing I discovered... you cant put the back cover on if you plan to pull up on the Floyd at all... because the block/springs hit the cover.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Kinda lame try here but...

cram a wooden toothpick in the hole or whats left, then angle the screw towards the side that has the wood and try to get some wood there, if it doesn't hold, block the floyd and turn it into a fixed trem guitar.
              USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
              USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

I didnt pay $1500 for a fixed trem guitar. Im a pretty heavy Floyd user.

I cleaned that old half hole, dowled it, then redrilled the new hole... there just wasnt enough wood to bite. Basically just what they tried to do... only they put the dowel sideways. I shoulda known better... if it wouldnt work for them, why would it for me?

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  I didnt pay $1500 for a fixed trem guitar. Im a pretty heavy Floyd user.

I cleaned that old half hole, dowled it, then redrilled the new hole... there just wasnt enough wood to bite. Basically just what they tried to do... only they put the dowel sideways. I shoulda known better... if it wouldnt work for them, why would it for me?
                  That sucks Rob!
                  USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
                  USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Another thing I discovered... you cant put the back cover on if you plan to pull up on the Floyd at all... because the block/springs hit the cover.
                    Check the size of the block. I bet it's a 37mm or 42mm instead of the 32 that it's supposed to be for a recessed Floyd.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It is a 32 block, just double checked it. The Floyd is fully recessed in the cavity to get the action right, thats probably why... it couldnt go much lower if I wanted it to.

Comment

Damn! That guitar's just all jacked up everywhere.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know how to fix it.. Just donate the guitar to me
                          2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                          2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                          2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                          2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                          2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                          2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                          2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                          2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                          2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                          1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                          1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Definitely a "Cover Up". Do you have the Final Inspection Tag? Who initals are under neck dress & assembly?
                            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Neck dress JD/LR? (? cant quite tell the second name, two seperate names in that box), Assembly and Wiring both IM, Setup REALLY cant tell, CL possibly... that ones a crapshoot tho.
                              Last edited by RobRR; 05-04-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Well, it didnt hold.
                                Why don't you glue (titebond) the nut in place on the bass side? Can't the truss be adjusted with the nut in place? I know it sucks. A custom made nut, NOT pre-drilled would be killer to have. Call Schaller factory?
                                Btw. shouldn't it look like this? (my RR1). Notice the thin layer of wood covering the truss rod:

Countersink the springs might buy you the milimeters you need to make them clear the cover. Just cut a groove in the block for each spring.
                                Henrik
                                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                                X