Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somewhat big problem... how would you fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope its not dead center, its off by over 1/10th of an inch, .14" to be exact. And rear mount isnt an option either, as to keep the nut centered, the rear mounting studs would actually have to go through the truss nut.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I haven't read the whole thread but just an idea, sorry if it's been suggested before:

How about dropping a tiny bit of water thin super glue down the screw holes and the back of the nut as well and glue it to its place? It should add enough strength to the nut and it's not permanently irreversable.

Comment

Well it's all clear with the pictures now... Like stated it is construction defect. Looks like the CNC was off just a bit on the truss rod channel. The only way to fix it right is to replace the neck... too bad it's not a bolt-on . As a few on here have said, the best work around is to drill another mounting hole in the nut. I have to agree. Once you have that done and put back together you won't be able to see the fix. The only possible downside is what effect does the truss rod not being centered havr on the neck in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
          what effect does the truss rod not being centered have on the neck in the future?
          Sounds like a twisted neck waiting to happen.
          You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
          You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
          --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
          --horns666 - 12/29/08
          I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
          --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
            Sounds like a twisted neck waiting to happen.
            I have a Firebird with a perfectly centered truss rod. The neck has a slight twist, so I'm not too sure the truss rod has much to do with neck twist.
            "POOP"

Comment

I love how things get twisted... Not that this should be discussed on the forum, but if thats how its gotta be... thats how its gotta be.

I did not sell this guitar knowing the problem with it. The nut never moved for me or the many other people who played the guitar. Maybe the glued piece came undone during shipping or when he was cleaning it up? Who knows? If I did know about it, why would i have dropped that much money and not have it fixed or replaced?
              When I first found out about it I immediately offered a refund. I was told that he did not want to do that and that he wanted to try to fix it or get it warrantied even after I emphasized that it may take awhile to get things done with them. He was unable to fix it so I immediately contacted Jackson and was passed around the company to someone who could get things done. After a while he asks if he can just get a refund. Please note that this is after he said he did not want one. I told him that I wouldn't be able to come up with the money for at least a month or 2. Since he said he did not want a refund, After telling him this, he told me that if I could get it fixed under warranty in a reasonable time, to do so. I get the ok from Jackson to have it brought in and that they would have it fixed immediately, and he tells me that he no longer wanted to take it in because he did not have time to take the guitar in nor the money for the gas. I told him that I would pay for him to ship the guitar to the authorized repair shop but I am no longer offering him a refund. It has now been 2 months and I have gone above and beyond to do what I can to make things right and done everything he has wanted. I'm sorry he is now having buyers remorse, but I can not be held accountable for that.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                I then offered to have it fixed WHILE I still owned it.
                I just caught this now. What do you mean while you still owned it? You still have it, correct? Then why not take up Jeremy on his offer to pay for it to be shipped to a service center, or you drop it off and let him pay for your gas/tolls. Seems like he's trying to get this resolved.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Are you kidding me? I said that I would rather not let it go on on 5/3, then on 5/6 after you said it was going to take a while, I said Id rather have a refund. Its not my fault the money was gone within 3 days. I said I was ok with waiting for a month or two (which has passed) to get a refund, and meantime, we can try to have it fixed, and I have every single PM to prove it. Please dont make it seem like this all happenned within a week or two, were talking two months here. I did ALOT of waiting.

Buyers remorse? Hardly. You chose to misinterpret what I said, now thats my fault?

So, why did you block my AIM? Why havent you responded to my PM's? Why are you completley avoiding me until you realize its out in the open? I hadnt gotten rude or anything with you and gave you absolutley no reason to cut off communication.
                  Last edited by RobRR; 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I just caught this now. What do you mean while you still owned it? You still have it, correct? Then why not take up Jeremy on his offer to pay for it to be shipped to a service center, or you drop it off and let him pay for your gas/tolls. Seems like he's trying to get this resolved.
                    Because it took him almost two months to tell me to take it somewhere. I said Id wait two months for a refund, not two months to get the guitar sent away. We WERE trying to get this resolved until he stopped communicating with me.
                    Last edited by RobRR; 06-27-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

And actually, on 5/3 you said youd buy it back but it would be a few weeks until you could. Then on 5/6 when I just said go with a refund, you said the money was gone and Id have to wait until the end of June. I was cool with waiting 2 months for a refund!

But ya know what, forget all that.

In the voice of reason yet again, send me the info on where to send it to Jackson, and Ill send it out on Monday. Lets end this and move on.
                      Last edited by RobRR; 06-27-2008, 09:59 PM.

Comment

You turned down my offer... had nothing else to tell you... and have not been on here till now because ive been swamped with work. I blocked you on aim while i was at work and didn't any complaints poping up as my boss was there.... I have unblocked you and have left this thread up for all to see. I have nothing to hide. As i said before, I have no problem in ensuring that the guitar is fixed am willing to pay shipping to have the guitar sent to be fixed. Does this suck for you? Yes. I feel terrible. But you made it clear from the start you wanted to keep the guitar if any way possible. I have done everything I can to make this happen short of coming to your house and taking the guitar to the shop personally.

Comment

Here's how I'd fix it:
                          - as suggested by others, trim back the wood where the old hole is, looks like it's weakened anyway, and glue in an extra little chunk to fill the gap.
                          - when it's good and dry, screw the nut in place using the other good screw, make sure it's tight and butted down hard against the fretboard edge
                          - drill the hole for the 2nd problem screw at a slight south west angle, so the screw will point a little towards the fretboard and the bass side of the neck, and it engages with a decent bit of wood
                          - make a new truss rod cover with the holes slightly shifted so the truss rod cover butts really tight against the nut and provides additional support. Use thicker material than usual, or even stack two layers of pickguard material together if you need to.

Comment

I have no problem in ensuring that the guitar is fixed am willing to pay shipping to have the guitar sent to be fixed.
                            This is probably the best solution. I'd go for it.
                            Last edited by joelayres; 06-28-2008, 08:20 AM.
                            You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                            You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                            --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                            --horns666 - 12/29/08
                            I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                            --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

I have an easier solution (I have a Charvel from 2005 that has this EXACT same issue among other things, but I digress...)

When you string up the guitar, wrap alot of excess string around the tuning posts so there is pressure on the back of the nut (adding a string retainer would do the same thing, but I doubt you want to do that). This will keep the nut from moving around.

Like I said, I have a Charvel that I'll have to keep for life because it is so effed up (Trem posts were drilled too far forward so the bar retainer underneath the bridge would hit the cavity when I tried to pull up on it, the nut issue mentioned above, and the cap has lifted off the headstock creating air bubbles in it). I probably should have sent it back to the mail order house I bought it from.

Comment

I would have taken the nut to a metal shop and had another hole drilled in it where it would 'bite' into the wood. They probably wouldn't even charge for that.

Or anyone who has a drill press and a vice or clamp system on the deck...even a bunch of C clamps would work if you planned it out right.

I have seen many 'little things' that should never happen on the USA models. I do not worship Grover.
                                Ok...I do like the Grover from Sesame Street...
                                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X