Did I get a problem SL2H??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I get a problem SL2H??

Ok, I am not freaking out or anything but I took the new Jackson out tonight first time since I got her last Friday and I noticed a slight fret buzz on the low E string that seems to be on the lower frets, perhaps difference in humidity from the mid west to CA? I thought that's strange since I did not notice it last Friday. Well I decide to get the FR trem set up right since it was a little low towards the rear. While looking at the nut I notice the truss rod cover is bowed upwards in the middle just a tad and several of the strings are resting on the TRC? Strange, my charvels don't do that?? So now I am looking at the nut and it looks like it's shimmed on the high E side, is that something that would come out of Jackson?? There appears to be no shim on the low E side.

Regarding the truss rod cover touching the strings, If you look closely at the photo of the high E side of the nut you can see that where the lower two screws of the TRC go in there is a extra bevel on the headstock, if I tighten them really snug it will cause a bow in the TRC? Well this is interesting, anyone else see this before? I have picked up 5 guitars in the past 3 weeks I think I might have missed this before. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

It's defective. The bass side is built correctly with the binding shelf for the locknut. Treble side is wacked. If it was me, I'd return it if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MEX3 View Post
      It's defective. The bass side is built correctly with the binding shelf for the locknut. Treble side is wacked. If it was me, I'd return it if possible.
      +1. What is with all the problems on Floyd nuts lately? Crap like this is why I said "Screw it" to a custom and am just going to build it from parts myself.

Comment

Thanks for the headsup CR. That's what I'm gonna do.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

+2. They make shims for Floyd nuts, but that shim is way too thick for a new guitar! Seems like the milling of the slot was too deep. I've gotten 2 necks from Musikraft recently and the Floyd nut shelf was dead-on. No need for shimming.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
            Crap like this is why I said "Screw it" to a custom and am just going to build it from parts myself.
            Yup. Week 7 of the wait for the Musikraft order. Have all the parts here and the artist lined up. It's gonna slay...

Comment

Well I guess I am screwed, I bought this used, it's 2004. Owner did not not mention this when I asked if there are any issues with the guitar. Ebay strikes again. I did not think to ask the owner if the strings were touching the TRC or if the nut slot had been cut too low...
              750XL Cherry Sunburst
              375DX Metallic black
              Model 2 blue
              Model 2 Red
              Gibson Les Pauls
              PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by titan7 View Post
                Well I guess I am screwed, I bought this used, it's 2004. Owner did not not mention this when I asked if there are any issues with the guitar. Ebay strikes again. I did not think to ask the owner if the strings were touching the TRC or if the nut slot had been cut too low...
                Maybe the owner didn't have a problem and didn't know. I'd shim it up a little more and see if it helps. They sell metal nut shims, or you could just use a piece of business card or tinfoil or something.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is it possible it's the wrong nut?

As said, that nut could be shimmed for the proper height, but the nut shelf is whacked. The strings certainly shouldn't touch the cover.
                  Perhaps try a narrow little shim (thin toothpick?) under the underside of the TRC at the back, so that when you tighten the back screws on the cover, it won't bow up.

Comment

Okay, but how could jackson sell this with the binding shelf missing on the high E side?? Wow, I don't have this issue on my $300-500 Import Charvels. Kind of sad on a $2000 guitar.

Can this even be fixed or it is just a cosmetic defect that will need to remain as it is. It's sad, the guitar plays great. but defective mgf like this blows, I though my Gibsons had issues, this takes the cake.

It's not just the nut, the stings are resting on the TRC? and there is not enough headstock material under the TRC where it meets the back of the nut.

Isn't there a Jackson employee who is a member here on JCF? Perhaps he could let me know what happened here and how to fix it.
                    Last edited by titan7; 05-07-2008, 12:34 PM.
                    750XL Cherry Sunburst
                    375DX Metallic black
                    Model 2 blue
                    Model 2 Red
                    Gibson Les Pauls
                    PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by titan7 View Post

Isn't there a Jackson employee who is a member here on JCF? Perhaps he could let me know what happened here and how to fix it.
                      That will be McD.

I'm saddened by the number of faults I've seen on some of these US Jacksons because, apart from money of course, they're the only slight thing that's putting me off from getting one. Because of the high UK prices I would want to import one from the US, and I would be really annoyed if I went to all that trouble and got a faulty guitar.

I can't really see what's wrong with the nut myself, other than that it's too low. Could somebody enlighten me as to just what's wrong there? It'll probably be really obvious once you explain it...
                      I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

McD is a member. You might PM him. I can tell you it can be fixed perfectly by gluing in maple stock and have the shelf milled "routed" properly by a qualified tech. If the machine is set right you should be able to get the perfect nut height without a shim. Your action at the first fret would be in "factory" tolerence. Also, a good thing to check is the fret board level from side to side. There was another member here in which I suspect had a fretboard that was not level. This can appear to be a twisted neck, but in fact the fret board is not leveled (side to side) prior to the frets being installed. If, I'm not mistaken, Jackson still does the final leveling of the boards by hand.

Edit: Here's a supplier of Floyd nut shims. http://www.guitarnucleus.com/gnstore...uts.html#shims This is if you decide to go this way. These can be cut down to shim 1 side only.
                        Last edited by Bengal65; 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I will look into the shim, As far as getting it perfect, there is no binding shelf on the treble side. Look at the two photos showing the right and the left side of the nut.

Also if you look at the 2nd photo, look at the TRC where it meets the back of the nut. Notice there is no headstock wood under it, it's like they removed more material from the headstock than needed so there is no support under the bottom of the TRC.

It's cosmetic, and plays fine, but it's just a little frustrating that stuff like this happens. Being the "near" perfectionist that I am it bugs the hell out of me, and if it was not for the way this thing sounds and plays it would be going up for sale "with full disclosure as I am aware the nut is shimmed.
                          750XL Cherry Sunburst
                          375DX Metallic black
                          Model 2 blue
                          Model 2 Red
                          Gibson Les Pauls
                          PRS SC-250

Comment

Need some advice, I want to know what you guys would do about this situation. I have communicated to the seller, not sure how thrilled he will be to hear from me but. I did ask if there were any issues with the guitar. I know "issues" covers alot of ground but it you were told no issues and this showed up would you have a problem with it? Again, not trying to be a jerk but there are lot's of SL2H out there with no problems. To be honest had I known about this I would have gone another route. I guess I am concern that one it bugs me, 2 is this going to impact the value of the guitar?

Thanks!
                            750XL Cherry Sunburst
                            375DX Metallic black
                            Model 2 blue
                            Model 2 Red
                            Gibson Les Pauls
                            PRS SC-250

Comment

Since it plays and sounds great, I'd leave it. It is weird that the nut shelf is apparently a different thickness on the bass and treble side, but I wouldn't blame the seller for not noticing. It's too obscure and weird to notice. Who would think to look (unless it was playing poorly, which you say it isn't)?

Comment

Working...
                              X