Just Upgraded to SL2H-Mah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Upgraded to SL2H-Mah

Hey All, First Post. I've reviewed many of the legacy posts and they have been very informative. I just upgraded my Japanese DNKY to a USA Soloist. It took some effort but well worth the wait and patience. I got a SL2H - MAH. Plays and sounds amazing, I have a hard time putting it down. Im very excited and would post some PIC's but cant figure out how.

Just have one question. The floyd rose is just slightly off level. The low E is set about 2 business cards lower than the high E. Also, they shimmed the locking nut (about a card thickness). Is this a concern or normal? The guitar plays great and had good action!

If anyone has any input I would love to hear your thoughts!

Congrats. Having just gotten my first USA not long ago, I know what you're experiencing. Regarding your question, there are others here more experience and I look forward to their answers, as well, but my feeling is that if it plays great and has good action, I wouldn't be concerned. It might just be what was required for optimal set-up.

Here's a question I have for you. Did you try the alder SL2H and the mahogany one side by side through the same amp? I'd be curious to hear your impression of the difference in tonality of the two instruments.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

It is common to shim the Floyd nut and also common to shim the treble and bass sides differently. I find it kind of strange that the treble side is slightly higher. Usually the bass side has to be higher to accomodate the wider string vibration. If the guitar has a nice action and you can't put it down leave it alone and enjoy!!!

Comment

Congrats.

Word of thumb. If it ain't broke don't fix it
        07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

I was asking because in some of the historical posts it seemed to be a bit of an issue and I have had issues with Fender quality .

DocNrock, Yes I did play the Alder body. I actually first ordered and brought home the Alder body (took about 2 months wait - Canada). It was great; however, after a day or two, I noticed that the strings we not aligned correctly. IMO the bridge was set a few millimeters out and as a result the low E had a lot of fret board and the high E was barely on the fret board. I found that the high E was sliding off the fret board when I was pulling off. The dealer I purchased through was great. They took one look, told me it was wrong and gave me an option to get a new one. He gave me a nice Charvel USA as a loaner while I waited. I decided to order the Mahogany because after all this hassle and a few more months of waiting I wanted something really different or special (Customer shop is out of my price range). So although I did not play them side by side I have played both through the exact same rig.

I use a DS-1 into Legacy AMP with THD Attenuator, EQ, G-Sharp, BBE Sonic Maximizer all in the loop. IMO the sonic differences are very subtle. The Alder was a little brighter while the Mahogany was a little smoother. IMO both were capable of the sounds I was after and the differences could be EQ'd to neutral (my ear and tonal vocabulary may not a rich as some members; I am a bit a hack, far from a pro). I did see more of difference playing clean. I found the Mahogany fuller and richer. The tone to better my ear.

Hope this helps and again thanks everyone for the advice,

Comment

What was the weight difference?

Comment

Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Trying to Post Pic's

Sorry Guys, Nebbie Here! I have been trying to post pics for a while. I think that becasue I am new the administrator has not given me rights to post? I do not have a manage attachments botton as per FAQ. If I am missing something please feel free to pipe in.

Regardless, Brooke, IMO there was no noticable difference in weight. I was really surprised at how light the Mahogany was.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                  Sorry Guys, Nebbie Here! I have been trying to post pics for a while. I think that becasue I am new the administrator has not given me rights to post? I do not have a manage attachments botton as per FAQ. If I am missing something please feel free to pipe in.

Regardless, Brooke, IMO there was no noticable difference in weight. I was really surprised at how light the Mahogany was.
                  There is a button with a little mountain on it. You have to upload the picture somewhere else, and post the link to the forum.

I would have thought that the MAH would be heavier. Strange..

Comment

Finally PICS

I think I figured it out. Anyway here are some PIC's.

Comment

Sweet..

Comment

To quote Cartman: You bet ya fukkin ass it is!

Trans finishes on USA Selects are amazing.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I love that color. On a side note, are you going to see Radiohead on their In Rainbows tour??
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Nice axe.

I think that the SL2-MAH is absolutely Jackson's best USA production guitar.
                            GM,
                            www.aftershok.com

Comment

Very, very sharp! Congrats!
                              The Guitars:
                              Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                              The Amps:
                              Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Working...
                              X