Hum Sin Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shobet View Post
    I occasionally hit the middle pickup on the guitars I have but it's not enough of a problem to bother me. I like the quack you get in position 2 and 4 on those guitars, especially my Strats.
    Exactly, it's all about the quack, seriously. I've had plenty of dual hums with coil tap options, but they just don't quite give you that honed, clean single coil tone like you get with a true middle position single coil. That pickup with the bridge hum is a really fat, but sparkly clean tone that so many of us love.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've got my two Hum/SC/Hum guitars set up with humbucking single coils in the middle. One has a Dimarzio Chopper and the other has a Dimarzio Pro Track. Position #3 is very usable on both guitars.

Comment

IMHO, HSH = worst pickup config ever. ...Well, maybe triple-hum is even worse, but I've never actually played one of those.

Comment

change the damn neck pickup to a lil (SD) or a S ( dimarzio) and there you have a h/s/h

Comment

I dig the HSH seteup and I like the volume drop in positions 2 and 4.. for middle pup only tone, you can always dig up some Robin Trower.. a friend on mine in Louisiana has a HSH reverse head Soloist, iirc its Pearl Yellow, and most definitely drool worthy.
            DiMarzio Endorsee
            www.dimarzio.com
            Morley Endorsee
            www.morley.com
            "Intelli-Shred" author
            www.myspace.com/intellishred
            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              IMHO, HSH = worst pickup config ever. ...Well, maybe triple-hum is even worse, but I've never actually played one of those.
              I don't know if I would go so far as to say that. HSH offers players a good combination of Strat and LP type tones in one guitar.

There is no global right or wrong here. Use what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by axeman81 View Post
                because it sucks having a single coil in the way of your pick, and nobody's ever seen with a 5-way switch in the center position?
                Robin Trower was a big "middle pickup only" strat guy.

Other than him, will... I have a tough time thinking of anyone.

hehe

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                  There is no global right or wrong here. Use what works for you.
                  Agreed - that was just my opinion. Your own opinion may vary. I also think it's just plain ugly from an appearance perspective.

Comment

Working...
                  X