Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jackson USA DK1 vs. my 1984 Soloist

Hi Guys,
    Back in the 1980s, the only guitars I played were Jacksons. I had 6 total. Two soloist, a 1984 and a 1985 (the one from 1984 I still own to this day), two Randy Rhoads (one had a brass RR on the truss rod cover, I have never seen another one like it) and two of the bolt on strats( one was tiger striped, the other in pink bazooka bubblegum).

This week a bought a brand new DK1 in snakeskin to go with my 1984 Soloist. I traded a 2006 Les Paul LE that was chambered (what a piece of shit). Didnt realize it was chambered till it was too late.

Anyway, I have got to tell you guys, the quality of the new one is as good if not better then what I saw back in the 80s. Other then my 1984 Soloist, this new Jackson is awesome in every way. For the life of me, I dont understand why people stopped playing Jacksons. When you spend 2K on a guitar, you expect it to be like what this Jackson is. Gibson is charging custom made prices for chambered crap. The workmenship is perfect. Floyd was set up correctly (I had one of the first Floyds made in his garage back in the early 80s), finish is beautiful. Well done Jackson!

Laars......

The band I played in back in the 1980s opened up for a lot of national acts. The autographs on the back of the 84 soloist are, Ace Frehley(Kiss), Nuno Bettencourt(Extreme), Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow, Deep Purple) and Charlie Farren (Joe Perry Project)

Last edited by Laars; 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM.

Welcome to the forum and you should get to know something about this board that you're probably unaware of..

I present you one of our favorites:

Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I agree. I just got a DK1 (BCSB finish) back in December and (I think) it surpasses the quality of my buddy's 1988 limited edition guitar. (the blue marble looking one, not sure I have the year right) The DK1 is my absolute favorite guitar, so much that I ordered a copperhead snakeskin, which should be in around August (for my birthday - woohoo!!)

Nice choice int he DK1. Since nextinline beat me to the "This thread is worthless..." banner, I won't repost.
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I'll post some pictures tonight!

Comment

I have 2 old (1990 & 1991) Custom Shop Jacksons, 3 new USA Jacksons (Soloist, Archtop Soloist & DK1) and a Japanese DK2. The DK2 is outstanding value for money. The new USA models are easily as good as the older models in terms of quality, and better in terms of playability, but the older guitars have something that the new ones cannot compete with. Maybe it is just the cool factor associated with playing an older instrument. Something that you know no one else is gong to turn up with. Having said that, no one else turns up with a Jackson around here anyway.
          http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

sweet axes.Diggin' the red one
            07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

Hi Stevoc,
              You must be going crazy waiting for it. The copper snakeskin should look SwEEt...... Are they doing the headstock in the copper snake too? I saw another DK1 in snakeskin up here like mine but it had more brown and green going through it. It was amazing looking.

Laars......

Comment

Originally posted by Laars View Post
                Hi Stevoc,
                You must be going crazy waiting for it. The copper snakeskin should look SwEEt...... Are they doing the headstock in the copper snake too? I saw another DK1 in snakeskin up here like mine but it had more brown and green going through it. It was amazing looking.

Laars......

The headstock will be black....that's what I was wanting from the get go. The copper will just be like the SL2H's some of the others have here. (I assume so anyways)

It's not killing me yet as I know I still have at least two months to go. The last couple of weeks are going to be tough though for sure.

I got in on the order of the coral sea snake DK2M last year that was suppose to be in last October. That was killing me, then to find out they wouldn't be ready until this past January, which is now changed to mid August-ish. At least with my DK1, I know it's a done deal.
                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

That '84 is just too sweet Laars! It would go great with my Gold Sparkle '86.

Michael

Comment

Welcome to the board, Laars! Great looking guitars, and a very interesting story to go with 'em! I am not usually a fan of snakeskins, but I REALLY like yours. I think it looks tough with the black snakeskin and black hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X