Price gouge or realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price gouge or realistic?

My local guitar center has a 1988 Soloist that has Jackson pickups, some fretwear and an outer space graphic and they are asking $1400 for it. They werent that much new were they ? I picked it up and felt so good, but saw the price tag and about upchucked.

What kind of bridge?

I think they were more than that new (even in 1988 dollars), fyi.

It's probably worth more like $1000 though

Comment

That's not an unrealistic price tag. Especially if the condition is good and it's a Floyd. Graphics are going to raise the price too. I don't think a G is realistic, solid colors are getting that or more on eBay, I recently sold a pair of blue Soloists from 1989 for $1200 each...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        , solid colors are getting that or more on eBay, I recently sold a pair of blue Soloists from 1989 for $1200 each...
        Yeah but you bought them for about $900 the week before

Sometimes the guitars with graphics do not sell as well as solid colors...

I'd say its the high side of the range for something like that but pretty much in line for store prices.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

An SL1 or 2 new in 88 was probably $1100-$1200. If GC is asking $1400, you should easily get them to knock off a few hundred. Especially if it shows some wear. They probably gave the poor guy $450 in trade for the damn thing.
          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

In 85 my Soloist listed for around $2400 the upgrades were EMG's , & a Floyd it's a solid color

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
              In 85 my Soloist listed for around $2400 the upgrades were EMG's , & a Floyd it's a solid color
              That's a lot in 85. So you probably paid around $1500-$1600 give or take. I bought my 1989 SL1 lighting sky new for $1250.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                My local guitar center has .
                I didnt notice it was GC at first. I'd say you could definately get them to knock off 10% maybe as much as 20.

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
                  I didnt notice it was GC at first. I'd say you could definately get them to knock off 10% maybe as much as 20.
                  Yup, talk to them. You could probably walk with it for 11 or 12 hundred.
                  Scott
                  Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
                    Yeah but you bought them for about $900 the week before

Sometimes the guitars with graphics do not sell as well as solid colors...

I'd say its the high side of the range for something like that but pretty much in line for store prices.
                    Wow, someone who pays attention! Or at least says so. OK, but the point is, solids are selling for well over a grand, so we shouldn't be shocked at a true Custom with a graphic for just a tad more, eh?
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I was thinking they were about $1200 back then.. Hmm

Charvel 750, I see you are here in j-ville.. me too

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                        Wow, someone who pays attention! Or at least says so. OK, but the point is, solids are selling for well over a grand, so we shouldn't be shocked at a true Custom with a graphic for just a tad more, eh?

No shock here... I wasnt intending to imply that the price was out of line...or yours for that matter. In fact I said it was in line for store prices but could definately be found for less I really was heading more towards the point that some graphics do not sell as well as solid colors when you mentioned the blue ones you sold. If you had three of those soloists listed at the same price & one was lightnning Sky one black & one blue which do you suppose you would have the longest? ( No disrespect to lightning sky owners either.. I have one myself )

Also please dont take offense to my pointing out you got the two blue ones the week before & made a buck.... In spite of what some people would tell you this is still America & making a buck is OK Heck I almost bought the lighter blue one myself with the intent to relist it if it didnt blow me away.

& yes I do pay attention!!! I find it helps in most situations

OK... Apologies for the brief thread hijack

Comment

Mike by 89 you could go into store and pick from a dozen that were hanging there. It was around $1700 in 85 more than I ever thought I'ld pay for a guitar and the most I have ever paid.

Comment

This started out priced at $1599.00 in 91'.. i wanted to buy in in 93'
                            for it's $1299.00 sale price. When i went in to do the deal...it was just
                            marked down to $999.00 to clear it out! So considering the rarity of
                            an 88' with hopefully an original graphic? $1200.00 aint too out of line imo. If you really want it, offer them $1100.00 "Out the door" tax included. They will let you have it! Probably only gave $400 for it!

Comment

Robert,
                              I think that is the exact same graphic!!! The one at GC is neck thru tho..

I just made a big purchase (bought a new old stock 97 USA Washburn Steve Salas Signature model) so Im strapped and cant go make them an offer. I dont think they would do it tho. Ive heard people say they deal, the ones here dont. I made a VERY fair offer on a damaged tele in there once and they turned me down. Sales guy said it was very fair, but management said they'd rather return it for credit..

Comment

Working...
                              X