No announcement yet.

Price gouge or realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BloodRose, didn't know you were in Jax, too. Is this the GC at Regency? I don't even know if we have more than 1 GC, but I might want to go in and have a lookee...
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
      I made a VERY fair offer on a damaged tele in there once and they turned me down. Sales guy said it was very fair, but management said they'd rather return it for credit..
      That's a different situation. I can see them not wanting to take a hit on a "new" guitar that was damaged. It makes sense for them to return it for credit. They are not out any money on a new guitar. As for old, used guitars, making a deal there is entirely different. Once they factor in how much they actually paid for it as a trade in, they have more room to work on a price to move the guitar out the door and still see a profit.

I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center either, but that seems like basic business sense to me. I have to give credit where credits due.
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        BloodRose, didn't know you were in Jax, too. Is this the GC at Regency? I don't even know if we have more than 1 GC, but I might want to go in and have a lookee...

Yeah, thats the one Bro! Thats the only guitar center we have. There are two Georges music tho.. Check it out.

Comment

I went and checked it out, very cool. It is indeed a "Saturn" graphic, but it has a burning nebulae/supernova kind of explosion beyond the planet. Excellent condition, currently set up with 10's, action a little high. It is a 1990, standard USA Production, nothing Custom, but still nice. Using all of my Jewish/Italian muscle I got them to go as low as $1250 plus tax. Adam was the guy I talked to. Kind of funny when he told me they were "investigating this through Jackson." I told him, "good luck getting ahold of someone there to confirm this piece." He said, "But we're Guitar Center." Doh!

Comment

Please post some pics. I'm curious as to how it looks.

Comment

I'm sorry, I failed to point out that I did not buy it. I offered a G, they countered with $1250 plus tax...

Comment

Dang. I would like to have seen that. Were the details really "crisp" like other Dan painted guitars?

I've dealt with greedy GC people the same as you - by walking out the door. A MIJ RR Pro, no case and chewed up wing tips for $499, and string laying on the frets (unplayable). I offered $350. They wouldn't bite. We got into a fight because I tried looking at the computer screen that showed how much they paid on the trade in. They said no discount and that I have to pay full price now for "cheating". I told them to F' off. Just another day at GC

Comment

Yeah, sounds like the typical GC salesman. However, they did say they had $850 in it! Whether that's true or not, I figured a quick $150 profit would be acceptable.

Comment

nah, they are blood suckers. worse than a pawn shop for used gear.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Digging up an old thread here, but Jacksonville GC finally has it for sale on their site: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgea...stId=104741925

Comment

I'm really tempted to offer $1000 + reasonable shipping, but only if I can have no payments for 12 months

Edit: I asked them if they could ship to Cinci's GC so that I could look at it first hand.
                        Last edited by DonP; 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Usually yes, but every now and then you can pick them off. I just got a very collectible Ibanez JEM DNA swirl for at least $1,000 less than anyone else is asking for them. Thing is in dead mint condition too. I couldn't have been more pleased with the whole transaction. Of course many (most?) of the pieces on their site are 50% higher than the going rate.

Pics of the new score will be posted on the "Guitars by Other Manufacturers " forum in a bit.

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          nah, they are blood suckers. worse than a pawn shop for used gear.

Comment

Working...
                          X