Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (sort of) PICS!

Just reposting from HC for you all:

Got this '97 Jackson PC-1 about a month ago, but took it into the shop after only two days of having it. It had some major fret buzz and notes where fretting out. Didn't care for the service I got, but a month later and I have it back. I'm thinking about changing out the electronics. I know I'm changing the bridge pickup, it doesn't sound right at all. Through both my Laney and my Groove Tubes, it has a very fizzy/fuzzy sound quality to it. I can't eq it out, lower gain on the amp doesn't help, rolling the volume on the guitar back doesn't do it, etc. I plugged in my LTD and it sounds great; it has a Duncan Designed pup no less! Not exactly sure what I want to drop in here though.

The sustainer system is kind of cool, but don't think I'll get much use out of it. Even more so true for the pinch harmonic feature this has; the switch closest to the floyd. Has an 18v battery box, so I could put actives in, but I think I'm going to go with a good high output passive.

If you're wondering, the buzzing and fretting out have been resolved. The tech, been taking my gear to him for a while now, said that the geometry was all out of whack. The trussrod needed to be adjusted, the frets needed to be reset (glued down instead of just pressed in), leveled, and dressed. He said quite a few frets were popping up because the neck is unfinished and was dehydrated, which over time changes the shape of the neck and causes the frets to pop up.

I noticed that when I put new 9v's in, it didn't work. I took out the battery box and there was a TON of solder on one of the boxes. I rotated the box a little and the wire just came off. I tried getting the excess solder off, with a soldering iron of course (and one of those solder suction things), but there was too much and the plastic couldn't handle it.

Look like someone did a botch job on the wiring in the control cavity for the battery box too; not as clean as it could be. Not sure if it was the person I bought it from or a tech they may have taken it to or what. The wires going from the box to the pots and switches were segmented, see pic below. It should have been one long cable, but instead it was a couple cables spliced together. I ordered a new box and am going to wire it properly. Well, maybe not until I get new pups.

EW! Just remembered something. Anyone know what the extra 4-pin connector is for (the one on the far right)? I was thinking it was for the third knob that the new models had maybe.
    Last edited by exposeenmity; 06-02-2008, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I'd put a Suhr Doug Aldrich in the bridge.
      I have one in my maple board M-II and really like the way it sounds.
      I have a Super 3 in my DK1 that sounds good too.

Comment

Well...one things for sure...you should have no problem selling that
        Sustainer pup! :-)) Interesting to see how Jackson did the quilt
        back then...here' is a PC-1 from 2007. as a comparison.

Last edited by Robert Burns; 06-04-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I threw in a Super Distortion in mine and I love the sound I get now. Just another option.

Comment

Very nice score there. Yikes on the repair time. A month?? Totally unacceptable. Still it's quite a beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
              I threw in a Super Distortion in mine and I love the sound I get now. Just another option.

I thought about the Super Distortion. I'm just afraid that it'll end up like the stock pup, fizzy/fuzzy sounding. As far as the stock pups and electronics go, I wouldn't sell them. Just in case I ever decide to sell the guitar, I could always put them back in so it's still stock and not 'modified'. There are just too many damn options. I'd be less hesitant if all pups came with quick connects instead of having to solder them. Sure, soldering doesn't take THAT long, but it would much easier to take one out and pop one in in a matter of seconds.

Comment

Gorgeous guitar! The mocha finish is my fave of the PC ...

Comment

Beautiful guitar!!!!

Comment

Very nice looking PC1!!

Better looking than the 2007 model for sure.

Congrats

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. I really see what people mean by the difference in tops between old and new. Now if I could get the old finish with a strat head neck, that would be awesome. I'm trying to decide on pups right now; such a hard decision, but a good one though. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Comment

Wow, bringing this back from the dead. In '08 I had taken the PC1 back get the buzzing corrected and in less than one month it returned. I was fed up with the tech not being able to put it in order and sold it for a Caparison Dillinger II, which has since been sold as well. I never performed the pickup swap. I wish I had known about Plek during that time as I would have loved to keep the PC1. I'll be starting a new thread for a beaut I picked up on Tuesday
                        Last edited by exposeenmity; 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X