No announcement yet.

convince me about jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to clarify...It's really the radius for me on the pauls that make it difficult and to a certain extent the heel. I guess I am just addicted to the compound radius. A well designed heel makes a difference in terms of access, I shouldn't have to change my grip that much because I am playing higher on the board. The neck heel on my soloist is non-existent, don't even have to think about it.
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I never understood the point of threads like this :ROTF:
      http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Originally posted by geofreesun View Post
        i have recently acquired a prs singlecut trem, a 10 top 20th anniversary version. basically it's a standard singlecut trem, and it totally changed my guitar playing experience... when i first played it, unplugged, i felt the huge resonance from the body, which never happened with my jacksons/ibanez/carvin... i simply felt my body shaking with that chunk of wood... plugged into my engl 530, just using the built-in 1.5w x 2 power amp, the tone is super thick and punchy, i doubt if i need to upgrade to a real power amp....

well, it made me think... i have owned a jackson sl1, an RR1T, sold both sometime ago, simply because i hear no clear superiority in tone compared to my cheap carvin dc127 (ebony board, split coil for both humbuckers, neck thru, all for 300 dollars)....it's like i can't justify the fact that i have to pay 1 grand for a jackson usa...

what's wrong here? don't get me wrong, i love jacksons, otherwise i wouldn't be here...
        I have tried PRS and I do NOT think they are any better. Jackson have a better, more balanced tone than the PRS's I've tries. (Two McCarty's and a Custom 24). The neckjoint is TERRIBLE. I don't get the 5 way switch either. It's impossible to shift pickups fast. (You can get a three way and coil-tap, thank God.) When I have the guitar on my knee it, the neck is all wrong. When I picked up a Jackson, it just works. I bought a RR1 that I still have. I've been offered more money than I gave for it, but I don't think I want to, because there are nothing that works better for. I also love the compound radius neck. From Blackmore riffing to vai soloing. When I pick up my other guitars, they don't come close in quality.
        '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
        '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
        '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
        '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
        '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
        '13 Gibson M-III
        Taylor 214CE
        Dean 6-string Bass
        Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by J_A / 540s View Post
          I never understood the point of threads like this :ROTF:

To waste my employer's time with meaningless conversation...and to provide worthless answers to absolutely nothing....
          www.JerryRobison.com
          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

what's wrong here? don't get me wrong, i love jacksons, otherwise i wouldn't be here...
            No, if you loved Jacksons you wouldn't asked to be convinced.

What is the point to your post? If you like Jacksons, play them. If you don't like them don't play them. Play whatever guitar you like. Who cares?

Comment

I've alway hated PRS neck joint.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                I've alway hated PRS neck joint.
                The neck joint itself never really bothered me.... but thats only because I have a fondness for Les Paul Jr's so it's somwwhat familliar feeling. That said it's to be expected on a 50 year old design, but by the time PRS's were being made I would have expected something more user friendly for sure!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

I like pointy guitars too much. I'll never own a PRS.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                    A well designed heel makes a difference in terms of access, I shouldn't have to change my grip that much because I am playing higher on the board. The neck heel on my soloist is non-existent, don't even have to think about it.

But your hand position is going to change anyway when you get up that high due to the angle of both the guitar and your arm in relation to the width of your body.

Even with a 2x4 with strings that has no change in shape from nut to butt, the only way your hand is not going to change position is if you mounted it on a rail and moved the guitar closer and farther.

And is it that much of a burden to change your hand position?

Really, I still don't get it. Is it laziness or a lack of skill?
                    It has to be one or the other, or it's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Wehh I have to change from my current fingering position to reach these notes! Oh NOES! The world is going to end!"

Seriously, someone explain it to me.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i have recently acquired a prs singlecut trem, a 10 top 20th anniversary version. basically it's a standard singlecut trem, and it totally changed my guitar playing experience... when i first played it, unplugged, i felt the huge resonance from the body, which never happened with my jacksons/ibanez/carvin... i simply felt my body shaking with that chunk of wood... plugged into my engl 530, just using the built-in 1.5w x 2 power amp, the tone is super thick and punchy, i doubt if i need to upgrade to a real power amp....

well, it made me think... i have owned a jackson sl1, an RR1T, sold both sometime ago, simply because i hear no clear superiority in tone compared to my cheap carvin dc127 (ebony board, split coil for both humbuckers, neck thru, all for 300 dollars)....it's like i can't justify the fact that i have to pay 1 grand for a jackson usa...

PRS's are nice guitars.

If you didn't like the tone of your Jackson's, you could have just changed the pickup configuration? Comparing the playability of a RR1T or SL1 to a Carvin is just redonkulous.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Unless you have a hand made of steel, then you would not be able to pull off the same speed on a Cravin that you could on a Jackson. I mean maybe,,but unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        But your hand position is going to change anyway when you get up that high due to the angle of both the guitar and your arm in relation to the width of your body.

Even with a 2x4 with strings that has no change in shape from nut to butt, the only way your hand is not going to change position is if you mounted it on a rail and moved the guitar closer and farther.

And is it that much of a burden to change your hand position?

Really, I still don't get it. Is it laziness or a lack of skill?
                        It has to be one or the other, or it's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Wehh I have to change from my current fingering position to reach these notes! Oh NOES! The world is going to end!"

Seriously, someone explain it to me.
                        Newc, here's something to think about:

If it's easier to play a newer Soloist on the higher frets, why not take advantage of that?

What you're saying is analagous to me saying:

"Are people who use power tools instead of hand tools lazy or just plain unskilled?"

If your goal is to play at the higher frets with less work, a Soloist is a better tool for the job than a Dreadnought.

Comment

Owning a Jackson It will make your e-penis grow a full 12"
                          2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                          2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                          2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                          2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                          2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                          2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                          2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                          2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                          2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                          1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                          1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

All I'm saying is for a $2000+ guitar you think they could have rounded the heal a little . I must admit I have not played a PRS for a long time but I just sick of all the Les Paul & Jr clones.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              That about sums it up for me.The only PRS that does it for me is my $200.00 PRS SE standard.I have had a real deal custom 22 and 24 and I didn't see what the hub bub was all about.A bit over priced for a CNC made guitar.JMO
                              The vibration thing I understand where your coming from.Hell my model 2 mutt has that quality about it after 30 min you have to put it down it vibrates hard enough to make you sore.
                              Stray Cat, I'm builiding a Model 2 mutt. Got any pics?

Comment

I initially was drawn to Jacksons because I loved the look of them, and back in the day all my guitar heroes were playing them (Dave & Marty from Megadeth, Max and Andreas from Sepultura, etc....etc.....) but once I finally got my hands on one it was the playability that hooked me, I felt like I could play anything on them and they made me want to push my boundaries as a player...and 7 RR's later I still feel the same....don't play the guitar that's "cool", or the one that anyone else says you should play, find the guitar that inspires you and stick with it................
                                I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

Working...
                                X