Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone very familiar with the ash-body PC1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone very familiar with the ash-body PC1?

Hi all,

I have a Jackson PC1 with a swamp ash body, maple neck, and all-black hardware. I purchased it on ebay, but don't know much about its history or origins, and thought I'd post pix and see if anyone from Jackson (or just Jackson fans who know much more than I do) could shed some light on what is my favorite guitar.

Here's a link to some pix - others in a different thread has asked for pix of my chlorine PC1 as well, so those are mixed in there too - the ash PC1 pix are below the chlorine pix.

www.bcgator.net/Guitars/Guitars.htm

It is serial number 005308, which I think dates it to 2001-2002. It has the pre-Fender headstock, and came in a Charvel-Jackson case. The first I'd ever heard of these was from a quote by Phil Collen on an indy Def Leppard bio page:

On the third leg of the "EUPHORIA" tour, Phil played the latest version of the well-known Jackson PC-1, which features some detailed changes from previous versions. Here's what Phil has to say about his new axe:
    "I've got a new guitar! It's a Jackson PC, but it's different from my other ones, as the body is made from ash (as opposed to koa, or mahogany), it doesn't have a maple top and it has black hardware. As you can see in the photos, the new PC-1 is a single piece of wood. Anyway, I'm loving it as it sounds a little chunkier than some of the other guitars."

The bio didn't include the photos he was referring to in the quote, so I've never seen those. I believe the 3rd leg of the Euphoria tour ran from '99 to '00, so that pre-dates the production of my ash-body PC1 by at least a year.

I'd like to find answers to some/all of the following questions - I know it's a longshot, but can't hurt to try:

- how many of these were made?
    - were those that were made just prototypes for Collen, some of which didn't get funneled to Collen, but ended up at retail instead? (mine was purchased by the original owner from a Jackson dealer in Los Angeles).
    - Or were they all just a result of his positive feedback in '99-'00, and Jackson decided to capitalize on that and make a bunch to see how they fared on the market?

Another forum member, Kelvinator, also has one so I'm sure there are others out there. I can tell you it's a fantastic guitar - mine is dramatically lighter than my chlorine PC1, and when you strum a chord that includes the A and low E, the whole body resonates. I do hear a difference in sound vs. the chlorine, but I don't have a great ear and I'm sure someone with more experience could better characterize the difference than I can. The finish on the ash is very smooth - doesn't feel porous at all.

I appreciate any and all comments/help/feedback/sugestions. Thanks!

Eric
    bcgator

First off...

Wow! That Chlorine PC1 is a beaut. Very very nice!

As for the Ash model, I'm not sure. I do know there is one up on the 'bay right now for sale. I've been tempted by it but I got a thing for the quilted finish.

Also thanks for the comparison between the Ash and the Chlorine. I was wondering how they were different. I imagine without the maple top it would be a lit lighter than a regular PC1.

Comment

Very cool...

Check this post out for some sister wood action...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...86#post1108786
      Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Hey Bryan, thanks. That one up on ebay now is Kelvinator's, the other person I mentioned above who owns one. He's posted photos of that on this board before.

Eric

Comment

That ash PC-1 reminds me in a lot of ways of my DR-2, mainly because of the blank fretboard (albeit maple instead of ebony) and of course the ash body. I bet that guitar has an extremely punchy tone.
          sigpic

Comment

Ash bodies kick ass. I always liked those ash-only PC1s, but thought Jackson should do some with stain, too - like maybe a 3 tone sunburst.

Anyway, I've seen at least 3 or 4 PC1s with ash bodies. Possibly more. There aren't a lot of them. But, if someone from Jackson came on here and said they did a run of 10 or 20 in total, I wouldn't be suprised by a number that big, either.

Comment

Thanks for the response and input shreddermon. Even 10 or 20 would be a relatively small number, at least to my perception. But then I don't have any clue how many regular PC1s are made in any given year, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Eric

Comment

Working...
              X