Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to RUIN a perfectly collectible Jackson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to RUIN a perfectly collectible Jackson!

Oops, I did it again. :ROTF:

In my ongoing series of "how to get what you want, when FMIC policies won't allow the Jackson/Charvel custom shop to build it", I present to you Y2KV version 2.0.

Before:

And after:

So roundhorn Vs are strictly verbotin? What do you do? Take one very collectible Y2KV in natural, and then throw caution to the wind. Mods are as follows:

- Send it off to GMW for a super refin to your preferred color of vintage white. IMHO, white Vs are just tre' classic. Besides, I can't recall ever seeing another Y2KV in white.

(BTW, GMW no longer does refin jobs. This one made it just under the wire. It was one of the last refins that GMW took on before stopping towards the end of 2007 - thanks, Lee! )

- Swap out to Schaller locking tuners for superior tuning stability and easier string changes. (These were drop-in replacements, BTW.)

- Replace the pickups with a Duncan Custom (bridge) and Pearly Gates (neck).

- Reconfigure the wiring so the PUs go to the volume knobs independently. No bleed-through, and now "machine gun" staccato tricks are enabled with one volume rolled down and toggle flips.

Bonus pic: birds of a feather...

Pretty awesome, I like the vintage white look better than the "headboard" look anyways.

Comment

Very nice Pat - great call on that one. I'd probably have gone the whole hog and got a pointy headstock put on it, but that's just me
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Guess you won't be needing that Kelly anymore then?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Very nice. I still like the natural look but you can't go wrong with that white one. It still looks pretty damn nice.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

It's nice that you had them have the "made in usa" part covered, while doing the finish.
            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Nice lawn Pat
              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Needs a Floyd

Kidding

When I saw the first half of the refin pic loading, I thought it was gonna be a Schenker
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like it ..

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    Guess you won't be needing that Kelly anymore then?
                    Not a chance. That one is a keeper, for sure. There is something very special about that guitar.

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                    It's nice that you had them have the "made in usa" part covered, while doing the finish.
                    Good eye. I wanted to save that myself, and asked GMW to mask it over while doing the refin. Also, I figured that was a good way to tell any potential future owners right off the bat that the guitar had been refin'd. ...And, no, it's not for sale. That was just a hypothetical scenario.

Comment

That's awesome.

I love the creamy white...

Comment

I love that Kelly!!

Comment

Personally I liked it natural. But that is a job very well done.
                          93 USA Soloist EDS
                          USA HT6 Juggernaut
                          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Looks better. Good call

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              Looks better. Good call
                              +1. Nice one.
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...