Jackson Strat/SD/Dinky Question For You Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Strat/SD/Dinky Question For You Guys

Hi, I've been out of the Jackson loop for awhile, did they return to doing Strat bodies again? I was a bit confused by this, some are called San Dimas, most are called Dinky (I thought Dinkys were downsized bolt-on Soloists).

This one the Music Zoo calls Dinky

But this one is a San Dimas

I had a 88 Custom Shop Strat Body back in the day, these look similar. If you wanted to have one built, what would you call it?

Well, Jackson actually had 2 Dinkys - the Dinky Strat from the San Dimas era (rounded edges and horns like a Strat), and the current Dinky which is shaped more like a Soloist (pointier horns and sharper edges).

From the pics, I would say both of those are Dinky Strats.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok, but if the current Dinky is Soloist style, what are these called? (These are new Jackson guitars). I saw a work order for one on Ebay, it said "Dinky" on the spec sheet.
      Maybe I should ask a dealer eh?

Comment

hot. they are called hot.

Comment

That body shape is a Strat.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You could call these "dinky strats" and the new ones "dinkies".
            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I thought the Strat shape was full-sized, and the Dinky was smaller (7/8" the size) with the sharper edges. Was there ever really a smaller "Dinky" Strat body?
              I know they've had a Strat-24 which was a Strat with 24 frets, but that was still the regular Strat body.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Those are both just Jackson Strats.
                There's nothing dinky about them.

Dinky means 7/8 and those look like full size strat bodies to me, of which I have 3 myself.
                Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Well, Jackson actually had 2 Dinkys - the Dinky Strat from the San Dimas era (rounded edges and horns like a Strat), and the current Dinky which is shaped more like a Soloist (pointier horns and sharper edges).

From the pics, I would say both of those are Dinky Strats.
                  Newc, with all due respect sir, you are the king of misinformation lately.

The Dinky Strat shape is pretty much the same as it has ever been. It does NOT have rounded edges and horns like a Strat body. That is a Strat body (as are the ones in those pictures). Or, if you prefer to use J/C's latest marketing vernacular, they are "San Dimas" body styles. San Dimas = Strat.

It sounds like you're confusing the slightly different body shapes for 22 and 24 fret Dinkys. 22 fret Dinkys has slightly shorter and slimmer horns, proportional with the shorter 22 fret neck. 24 fret Dinkys have longer/wider horns.

Essentially, there is no difference between the Dinky Strat body style and Soloists. It's just bolt-on vs. neck-through. 22 fret Dinky (bolt-on) = 22 fret Soloist (neck-through) and 24 fret Dinky (bolt-on) = 24 fret Soloist (neck-through). 'nuff said.

Comment

You sure? :scratch:

I thought the Dinky Strat was shaped just like a Strat only smaller.

Oh well, I'm getting old

Ok, re-looking at the pics above, they do appear to be Strats based on the amount of real estate between the pickups and the edge of the body.

Man, are my identification skills out of shape or what?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure.

The Dinky/Soloist is smaller than a Strat - roughly 7/8ths the size. But it is otherwise not "shaped just like a Strat". The edges have harder angles, and are less rounded. And the horns, etc are shaped differently. It is basically shaped just like a Soloist, with the same number of frets.
                      Last edited by shreddermon; 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Right, I understand the Dinky/Soloist vs Fender Strat relationship, but I was under the impression they also had a Strat-shape that was smaller than a regular Strat - rounded edges and horns just like a Fender - like the kid-size Strats are, only not quite that small - and called it a "Dinky Strat model", as well as having the "Dinky model" and the "Soloist model" and the "Strat model".

Comment

I'm going to assume the "strat body" is now called San Dimas from all of this. Actually I saw a hang tag from a recent one, under "model" all it said was "SD" (not Dinky).

Things were so much simpler in the 80's LOL. Order a Jackson Strat Body. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Right, I understand the Dinky/Soloist vs Fender Strat relationship, but I was under the impression they also had a Strat-shape that was smaller than a regular Strat - rounded edges and horns just like a Fender - like the kid-size Strats are, only not quite that small - and called it a "Dinky Strat model", as well as having the "Dinky model" and the "Soloist model" and the "Strat model".
                            There's no such animal. In terms of body shape, Dinky Strat = Dinky = Soloist. "Dinky", "DK", whatever you want to call it is just short for "Dinky Strat". And that is just another name for a bolt-on Soloist body style.

Comment

added pix

I just want to add this:Wayyy back in the mid 80's there was the soloist and the bolt-on. I still call it a bolt-on.(w/22 frets). aka: Strat Body.
                              Think of "Dinky" as the name implies "Dinky" <small> the Dinky/Soloist body is slightly smaller,bigger cut out's to access the 24 frets. Ill post a pix of them side by side.

Like Pat said: Look at the bodies curves.The Strat Bodies 05 San Dimas and 86 Jackson bolt-on have rounder edges,the Dinky body edges are sharper and longer deeper cut outs,that model has the Xtra cut out lower horn and scalloped heel.
                              Last edited by ADR; 06-23-2008, 07:53 PM.
                              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                              X