Soloist SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist SL1

I'm thinking about buying a used SL1 from 1999 (pre-fender) It has a nick in the back of the neck that was sanded and refinished but I haven't seen it yet. I'm getting it for 800 dollars. I'm wondering if these older ones are alot better than the new ones or just how good of a deal this is cause I don't know a whole lot about these, I've only briefly played a newer SL2 and I thought it sounded great.

I wouldn't consider a 1999 an older one. Go back 10 more years to 1989 and yep, that's an older one. Most would say go back a few more years on top of that.

Pre-Fender post-Fender doesn't mean squat. My 2005 SL2H is my favorite out of 30 axes.

What does make a difference would be the axe itself. All wood is different and trees are different. You could have two Jacksons built side-by-side but sound different because of differences in the wood.

Comment

Well, you should definitely see it and play it first, but $800 is a steal for any USA Soloist in good condition.

Are you buying this from a private seller or a shop?

-Steve
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

+1 on the "pre fender" bullcrap. Don't fall for this cheesy marketing stuff. Still made by the same guys in the same shop.

That is an okay price for a SL1. They don't fetch as high prices as the sl2 because the single coil neck pickup is less desirable for us metalheads (although I use both SL1 and SL2H's).

Comment

Working...
        X