Licensed Floyd on Custom Shop Dinky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensed Floyd on Custom Shop Dinky?

I'm sure you guys will know the answer to this, so here goes my first post. I have a '91 CS Dinky (I'm the original owner) that came with a licensed Floyd as opposed to an OFR. It's the "made in Germany by Schaller" style and says Jackson on it. Is it unusual for a custom shop axe of this era to not have an OFR?

Mike
    Mike
    ---------
    1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
    Dean EVO "Special Select"
    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
    Mesa Rectifier 2x12

It's not unusual. It's a high quality trem, and Jackson/Charvel used them on lots of import and USA guitars. Some people prefer the feel of the Schaller, and a customer could specify what they wanted on their CS model.
    And just an FYI, Schaller not only made their licensed version, but they also made the OFR in their same West German factory anyway.

Welcome to the forum.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Speaking of Tremelo's... i got my first "Wilkinson" on my GMW and it's
      great! Amazed how it stays in tune, and is so low profile, and smooth.

Comment

Thanks for the info and the welcome toejam. It's been so long since I ordered it I don't remember having a choice. Never gave it a thought until a guy at work was like "WTF...I thought all the CS Jacksons had OFR's". Made me wonder.....
        Mike
        ---------
        1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
        Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
        Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

You're welcome. Maybe they just used it as default since it wasn't specified. When the Floyd first came out, Kramer had exclusive rights to it, but the customer could supply their own for J/C to put on.
          Someone here actually got a CS Rhoads within the last year or so with the Schaller put on. Just personal preference.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think there was a point in Jackson history when they put Schaller floyds as default on all orders with floyds.

Comment

I figured as much (didn't know about the Kramer thing though). Other than a stripped saddle hole in the base plate it's been great, though I do actually have it blocked currently (both directions) which improved tone and playability.
              Mike
              ---------
              1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
              Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
              Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                It's not unusual. It's a high quality trem, and Jackson/Charvel used them on lots of import and USA guitars. Some people prefer the feel of the Schaller, and a customer could specify what they wanted on their CS model.
                And just an FYI, Schaller not only made their licensed version, but they also made the OFR in their same West German factory anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

+ 1

Comment

I think that OFR's are made by Schaller anyway.. SO there should be no difference. JT590 = Schaller = OFR

Comment

Yep, I'm good with it. At first I was a little concerned after reading the sticky thread at the top of the tech forum here (Awesome thread btw!), this is a quote from it:

"Even though the JT-590 is close to the real deal (Floyd Rose Original) and made at the same factory in Germany, there's some differences which pretty much also applies to all of the Jackson trems mentioned above. The level of craftmanship and quality of material used on the Floyd Rose Original is superior. Many will say that when the JT-590 trem is made by Schaller in Germany, at the same factory, the trem is as good as the Floyd. I do not agree. The baseplate of the JT-590 is made of soft cast iron and the knife edges are inserts of supposedly hardened steel. It's easier to strip the threads in the baseplate for the small saddle bolts and the knife edges do not last as long as the the original Floyd. Far from. I know this for a fact - i used these trems for over ten years. The original Floyd has good quality hardened steel for its baseplate, with the knife edges being part of the baseplate itself. It can really take some abuse."

I've had one of those issues, but, it is what it is.
                    Mike
                    ---------
                    1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                    Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                    Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Well, I have a JT-590 on my Fusion Pro, and am about to have another one on my NEW Fusion Pro (I have a thing for em), and I like it just as much as the OFR's on my Kramer Pacer & USA Soloist. I actually like the fact that the bolts don't hang as far back & the route doesn't have to be as big.

If you were concerned I think they updated the baseplates on the Schaller floyds. A Schaller Floyd from StewMac or others is exactly the same as the one in your guitar. JT-590=Schaller Floyd=JT-590.

Oh....and....(drumroll)

Vass
                      Last edited by Vass; 06-29-2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

The guy at work thought I'd gotten screwed, I don't agree, but was still curious. I thought about switching the base plate to one of the updated ones with the hardened inserts, but the stripped hole hasn't caused a problem for intonation on that string (low E) because the saddle needs to be slid forward anyway. I had it in for a set-up, fret dress etc. a few months back and the tech was able to deal with it, so I'm good. If I decide to sell it at some point I'll switch it out for the next person.

Pictures huh.... LOL...it's just a black guitar!!! .... I'll see what I can do though.
                        Mike
                        ---------
                        1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                        Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                        Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

Not a great shot, but you get the idea.....

Mike
                          ---------
                          1991 Dinky - Custom Shop
                          Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
                          Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Comment

That Schaller/Jackson Floyd is nothing unusual. I have a 1989 Rhoads Custom which I bought off the original owner, a friend of mine. It has factory scalloped 12-22 frets and a Jackson branded trem like you describe. Its one of my main stage players and no problems with the bridge so far.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X