Is this normal? (Floyd nut issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal? (Floyd nut issue)

I know the images don't show it very well, but my Floyd nut on my USA Fusion is slightly misaligned with the neck - it's just a bit less than 1mm or so off and juts out a bit from the treble side of the neck. It's not really a major issue, but I'm sure it futzes a bit with the string spacing - I checked, and it's all stock too, so I'm just worried if it's a QC issue back in the day or if it's normal. Any ideas?

Not normal.
    Looks like who ever installed it was in a hurry. Very sloppy work.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Not normal.
      Looks like who ever installed it was in a hurry. Very sloppy work.
      Ack. Any idea how I can get a luthier to fix this? I've removed the nut to check and there's just the two holes drilled, so it's definitely not aftermarket. It's not a huge issue, but I'm just anal-retentive that way.

Comment

Easy fix. Just remove the nut, and then fill and redrill the holes in the proper location.
        -Rick

Comment

Try loosening the screws and see if you can slide it over some.De tune strings first to take the tension off the nut.I had a very anal customer bitch about that very thing the other day. He bought a used (pawn shop)import Jackson for $150.00 (DK2M) and brought to me to fix.Thats all I had to do to fix it.
          The ones that mount from the bottom(thru the neck) sometimes get loose and they will move slightly.Not a major deal.
          Hope that helps.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

or find someone who sells floyd nuts without the screw holes drilled. that way you dont have to do any woodwork.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Try loosening the screws and see if you can slide it over some.De tune strings first to take the tension off the nut.I had a very anal customer bitch about that very thing the other day. He bought a used (pawn shop)import Jackson for $150.00 (DK2M) and brought to me to fix.Thats all I had to do to fix it.
              The ones that mount from the bottom(thru the neck) sometimes get loose and they will move slightly.Not a major deal.
              Hope that helps.
              I tried that - it's a top mount. Loosening the screws doesn't give it much in the way of sideways wiggle room. Thanks though.

Comment

Its not the nut Foulacy its where they drilled the screw holes.
                Extant you can remove the nut dowel the holes and re-drill it.very simple to do really.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                  or find someone who sells floyd nuts without the screw holes drilled. that way you dont have to do any woodwork.
                  Good luck with that search.
                  -Rick

Comment

Remove the nut.
                    Fill the screw holes with a toothpick.
                    Mark the new locations, and re drill.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Yup, thanks guys. I'll see if I can get the tech at the store to do it, since I really don't have the tools at my disposal.

Comment

Working...
                      X