Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5piece necks vs. 3pc. vs. 1pc which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5piece necks vs. 3pc. vs. 1pc which one is better?

I was wondering after looking over some San Dimas Jackson guitars. They started building them neck thru with 5 piece necks then went to 3 piece then for a short while in 85 they had a 1 piece with no scarf joint.

If you were to order a new CS guitar and price was not an option which one of these necks would you order. Assuming this was going to be a Korina body and neck in natural gloss finish.

I am debating that a 1 piece neck would look better but 3 piece would be stronger and less prone to warping.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions. I am just considering options for a possible Korina order KV I may do in the not to distant future.

I'd probably go for a 3 piece for stability. Having said that, if the neck is sealed under clear gloss poly, I'd have thought you should be fairly protected against warping anyway.... Whatever, from a looks perspective, one piece wins for me.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The clearcoat won't keep a neck from going south.If the wood is unstable it will do what ever it wants.A 3 piece neck is very stable.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Maybe 1 piece with scarf joint would be the way to go. Its what is on my KV1t Korina.

Comment

What about 5 piece? Would that be more stable, or is it pretty much the same with some extra piece-ness?
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

One of the best and most stabile necks I have had was on a Kramer Nightswan. I don't think there was anything special about the construction. It was a three piece neck with the middle section being flat sawn and the outer sections being quarter sawn. The opposing grains help to keep the neck stabile in the different directions. And, no scarf joint.

Comment

Three piece if painted. One piece flamed if not. I'd go with a slightly thicker neck with a one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                One of the best and most stabile necks I have had was on a Kramer Nightswan. I don't think there was anything special about the construction. It was a three piece neck with the middle section being flat sawn and the outer sections being quarter sawn. The opposing grains help to keep the neck stabile in the different directions. And, no scarf joint.
                That's what Hamer does for their 3-piece necks. That's also what Jackson did on the Mark Morton signature model. I personally prefer the necks that way.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a one-piece Ibanez S470 neck warp on me, and it was clearcoated, so that makes no difference.
                  Scott

Comment

3 piece necks rule. Rock solid, and the option upcharge wasn't that bad last time I ordered one. If you go up to 5 or 7 pieces, then it's probably mostly for looks. i.e., Strips of mahogany or walnut sandwiched between maple.

IMHO, the "looks" difference between a 1 and 3-piece neck on a natural guitar is pretty marginal. But if you want to do a Korina natural guitar and are concerned about the look, I'd do a 3 piece neck and see if they can do a Korina veneer over the top of the body. i.e., Like a flame or quilt-top. That way, you won't see the neck-seams from the front. And be sure to specify 3-piece with no scarf joint. I've seen them do 3-piece necks with a scarf joint on some of the production guitars (KV2T, SL2H-MAH), so make sure they know that's not what you want on the work order. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      I had a one-piece Ibanez S470 neck warp on me, and it was clearcoated, so that makes no difference.
                      It does make a difference - it sure helps. But not as much of a factor as the neck construction.

Comment

Those necks are going to warp because they are just too thin.

Comment

I have many old wizard necks that havent warped, I think it just depends on how you handle it with warming up and cooling down in different weather changes.

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          Those necks are going to warp because they are just too thin.

Comment

I am going to approach this from a different angle than other posters.

A one piece neck is more likely to have a "character" than a multi-piece neck. One solid piece of wood will have it's own resonant frequency. If you take multiple pieces of wood and put them together you will get a few varying resonant frequencies all "fighting" to be the vibrating at their own resonant frequencies. This results in a more stable neck that gives a flatter frequency response.

Now character can be good "This has mojo!", or bad "This guitar feels great but sounds dead." So a one piece is kind of a gamble that you will receive awesomeness, but has more things that could go wrong with it. A multipiece takes care of a lot of the random chance with regards to warping, strength, and flatter response.

In my opinion you are weighing out the gamble of getting a mojo neck versus getting a more stable, tougher neck. Less headaches but lower chance of getting that magic piece of wood.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I object, your honor! Totally disagree. 1-piece necks are no more - nor less - toneful than multi-piece ones. It's a gamble either way. Wood is weird that way - every piece (or pieces) is different.

One could also argue the opposite. i.e., That, because of the increased chances for a "limp dick" (less stable) 1-piece neck, they resonate less strongly and are therefore significantly less toneful. This also is BS, but makes no less sense.

Your opinions may vary.

Comment

Working...
                              X