Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5piece necks vs. 3pc. vs. 1pc which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like 5-piece necks cos they look pretty

Comment

I hope I dont blow anyones mind but how about a 2-piece neck split right down the middle?

I have seen this on a set neck Ken Lawrence explorer. How about on a neck thru.

Comment

i'd say that a neckthrough is the way to go...
        edit: my bad....
        probably not since if its neckthrough, its suppsoed to be made from one piece of wood....
        Last edited by laihojrxo; 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM.
        Own:
        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
        w/e catches my eyes ATM
        More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
          i'd say that a neckthrough is the way to go...
          I know thats what my question is. Can you do a neck thru 2 piece neck?

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
            I know thats what my question is. Can you do a neck thru 2 piece neck?
            I think you get an increased chance of the truss rod splitting the seam. Maybe with dual truss rods...

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              I think you get an increased chance of the truss rod splitting the seam. Maybe with dual truss rods...
              +1.
              Not to mention the opportunity for twisting.
              Toejam nailed it about the Hamer...I stupidly leave mine hanging on the garage wall for easy access, where it goes though crazy temperature changes...it stays very stable.

Comment

I have a 2-piece neck-through on a Carvin acoustic electric. Not sure it would work well on a solid body. I'd go with the 3 piece, without a doubt.

Comment

I am suprised Jackson does not use a dual truss rod yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                    I am suprised Jackson does not use a dual truss rod yet.
                    I don't understand it either. The truss rod costs a little more to make. But, you can get double acting truss rods from WD or Allparts for $12.00. It would probably cost large manufacturers around $2.00 in bulk. It is also easier to route the cavity for a double acting - there is not need for the long parabolic shape or the skunk stripe. It may be "tradition".
                    My take on it is that the truss rod was originally made for old acoustics with larger heavy strings. The larger heavier strings almost always caused an upbow that the truss rod can counteract. Now with the newer electric guitars with thinner necks and lighter strings, there isn't as much tension as the acoustics produced. Why do you think someone came up with the double-acting truss rod?
                    Also, combine the fact that there are a lot more guitars being built, and the wood used for them are not as aged and stabile. Yeah, you can kiln dry the wood. But, the constant absorption and drying of the wood naturally until it reaches the low water content produces much more stabile wood than the kiln.

To respond to your question, I don't know why double acting truss rods aren't used. If your problem is a back bow, a doubling acting truss rod could have probably save the neck

Comment

Huh? Jackson doesn't use a double-acting truss rod??
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X