Used Jackson Soloist Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Jackson Soloist Questions

I've been looking into used Jackson Soloists lately. I've played a few at GC and Sam Ash and was really impressed with the quality and playability. I normally don't care for thin necks but the Jackson Soloist necks feel fine to me.

Can anyone advise on things to look out for on used Jackson Soloists, like any known & common issues?

What is an expected price range that I should expect to be in for a used Soloist in good condition?

Thanks.

I would just say that there are an awfully lot of nice Soloists of all years for less than 1K. Be choosy and find one that you really like. neck profile options are more varied on the ones built in the last 15 years while the originals are predominately thin fast necks. Check for headstock cracks especially on models that had the original Floyd Rose nuts on them (that were mounted with 2 screws in the back). Pay attention to all areas around the headstock for cracks/breaks.
    Try to stay USA built, but the Japanese have nothing to apologize for. Most MIJ electronics aren't the best. if you buy MIJ then consider upgrading to US electronics (easily done by any guitar repair joint of any aptitude. On older soloists EMGS can be good but if you want EMGS you may find you have too much compression built "into" the guitar. So, unless that's the sound you want it may be better to go JB's or Custom 5's or some other sort of standard humbucker pickups, etc. See what you think and go with your gut. its usually right.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Look for one with a OFR stay away from JT6 (it;s JUNK) unless it's way less money. Soloist are the best and most versatile Jackson IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
        Check for headstock cracks especially on models that had the original Floyd Rose nuts on them (that were mounted with 2 screws in the back). Pay attention to all areas around the headstock for cracks/breaks.
        I second this advise. I've seen a lot of people try and sell off soloists with cracks around the nut and just pass it off as no big deal, but more often than not (from experience) I can tell you that it IS a big deal.

And if you're going to go for a soloist, don't get a MIJ model. Don't get me wrong, I love MIJ Jacksons (got 2), but if you're going for neckthru, you might aswell go USA and get all the other perks. Just don't let some guy try and knock off $100 from the price he paid and justify it by saying it's in good condition. Alot of people don't seem to understand that when something is USED you can't get so close to what you paid for it.

I would also ask about the frets and if the neck is warped or not (request pictures if shopping online). Happy hunting.
        Gear:
        Jackson RR1 Rhoads (Bolted Steel)
        Jackson SL2H Soloist (Deep Metallic Green?)
        Edwards Les Paul Custom (Vintage White)
        Mesa Boogie Roadster

Comment

+1 Katanas Comments. I wil clarify my own though. The MIJs have nothing to "apologize for" for what they are. I should have been more clear. For what they ARE.................but they aren't USA.
          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Thanks, I'm definitely sticking to the USA models, i.e. SL1, SL2H, etc. Any additional comments are welcome.

Comment

I disagree about the Japanese models, so long as we are talking about the original early '90s Soloist Pro (NOT the Soloist XL or Soloist Std., but the Pro with all the USA features). My '90 Pro is a better sounding guitar than *any* other Soloist I've ever owned or played--and that includes three San Dimas Soloists. I'd never sell it.

That's not to say that every Pro is that good, but you have to remember that no two Soloists are alike. The worst Soloist I owned was an '85 SD that would sell for at least twice what I paid for my Pro. It was a total dog that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

The electronics are down to what era it was made. The Pros had the exact same electronics as the then-current USA models. Almost any Soloist made between '87 and '95 is probably going to need a complete electronics overhaul to get rid of the Jackson pickups and active circuit. I consider that just part of the process of buying one. Jackson started using Duncans on the USA Soloists in '96 (though some of the very early Soloists in '84 and '85 had them, also).

On any USA Soloist from '96 onward, I can't think of any real issues. They are very sound guitars. Individual Soloists can have different sonic quality and neck carves. Even today, you'll find some variance between individual Soloists, just based on hand-shaped necks and different individual pieces of lumber, but I find that most play and sound great. Obviously, on used instruments you can get warped necks, worn-out frets and pots, etc. But that's true of any instrument and is sort of an inherent risk of buying on eBay.

My advice--if you run into one on eBay that you are interested in but unsure of, post a question about it on the JCF. There are plenty of folks who can tell you more about it and whether it's a decent deal or not. I try to help if I see the thread.
              Last edited by pro-fusion; 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                Almost any Soloist made between '87 and '95 is probably going to need a complete electronics overhaul to get rid of the Jackson pickups and active circuit.
                I know the pickups are bad, but what's so bad about the active circuit and electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
                  I know the pickups are bad, but what's so bad about the active circuit and electronics?
                  In my experience, the J1200 is a huge noise generator. It's probably not a bad circuit overall, I just never found it useful for anything.

Comment

Even when you have it turned off it still adds lots of noise? I know when it's on it adds tons of noise, so I keep it turned off.

I do have lots of noise but I thought it was mostly my guitar head.

Comment

It's probably not terrible to leave the circuit in place, but since I always change out the pickups, I find it more satisfying to do a "clean install" with new electronics.

Comment

Working...
                      X