Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Mod or Not to Mod - A Swee Tone cometh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Mod or Not to Mod - A Swee Tone cometh...

Alright, a couple folks went ahead and woke up my slumbering GAS a month or so back when they linked a Bent Top Dinky Triple Decker Swee Tone languishing at a Texas GC. Suffice it to say I don't no whether to thank or curse them as I've recently pulled the trigger on it and it's on its way! No really, I'm excited to have a couple of these babies with different pickup configurations. Should be great not having to switch from the 25" scale if I bring them both out to play.

The question is, should I go through with my plan to route it for a bridge humbucker? Or should I just learn to live with the Pearly Gates SC? I'm generally someone who rarely parts with guitars, but I'm a little nervous putting the router to a Jackson masterpiece.
    Go for it. Make the axe your own.
    61.11%
    Don't do it, you'll ruin the value of that rare axe.
    16.67%
    Don't do it, use a tele-bridge sized hum, those sound just as good as a full humbucker..
    22.22%
    Don't do it, put some twang in your playing.
    0.00%

I say leave it as is.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

aron ,

you can answer your own question ,is this a collecting guitar or a player ? Mine are all players so I've made some mods as I see fit.I would try all the different ideas you have before routing though ,if you can achieve what you're looking for with a straight hardware change then no dilemna.I've kept all the original hardware for all of my guitars ,so if in the future I want to restore to original - then I can(strap buttons ,pickups ,tremolos ,etc...).

I've never played a triple decker ,but she sure does look nice .Keep us updated as to what you decide.Congrats , nice score !!!!
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I'll have to say I agree with you... both. Anybody have any experience with tele-bridge sd hotrails? Guitar is probably getting here Wednesday. Excited, I am.

Comment

awesome pickup! I had inquired about that one myself... just was a bit too rich for me.

Comment

the SD hot rail tele should be a nice choice, as would a 'lil '59 tele....
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

those are quite strange guitars though. i wonder where jackson got their weed that week.....they look wonderful, but that pick up config is SOOOOO fucking weird. what's in the middle? a JB jr or a lil 59?
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

dude, don't ever route it.

that thing is So killer and yeah...so weird. but i love it!

i hope you can find a suitable replacement drop-in, because i think that config. rules so much!

Comment

don't route it man, I'm sure you'll live. play another guitar if you want a bridge humbucker.

Comment

Tear it up! And put a Floyd on it while you have the router out!
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Fer fuk sake. You don't mess with art. Keep it as it is or sell it to someone who would take care of it.
                      '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                      '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                      '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                      '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                      '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                      '13 Gibson M-III
                      Taylor 214CE
                      Dean 6-string Bass
                      Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Plenty of drop in options around. Try a few before 'Newc'in' it.
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

It's here and it's BEAUTIFUL!
                          Definitely going to go for the drop in replacement, probably a Tone Zone T. I can't give up the weird Hendrix-Telecaster bridge p/u vibe, no way! Thanks for weighing in on this.

Group Shot

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Odin View Post
                            awesome pickup! I had inquired about that one myself... just was a bit too rich for me.
                            Thanks! These hard times are ripe for negotiation on everything.

Originally posted by markD View Post
                            those are quite strange guitars though. i wonder where jackson got their weed that week.....they look wonderful, but that pick up config is SOOOOO fucking weird. what's in the middle? a JB jr or a lil 59?
                            Lil' 59 it is. I might change it out for a single stack though. I thought it was kinda crazy too, but if the reverse angle bridge pu worked for Hendrix... well, you know.

Comment

Working...
                            X