SL2H Natural

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H Natural

I bought a new Jackson SL2H earlier this year with the natural finish. Love the flame maple and it is a killer player, but when I first looked at it, I thought it should have had gold hardware instead of chrome.

I know some of you HATE gold hardware, so you can stop reading now.

Recently, I built a blue quilt maple Warmoth Strat that to me screamed chrome hardware. Soooooo, I hijacked the chrome hardware off of my SL2H and replaced it with gold hardware. I think it looks killer.

A couple of kinks appeared in doing this. Firstly, the CTS pots that come in the SL2H had shafts too large for the gold knobs I got. So they got replaced with RS Guitarworks pots (which are made by CTS). The chrome switch got replaced with a gold one. The stock trem came with a 32mm block; the replacement had a 37mm block, so that had to be swapped out (I used one of those L-shaped brass ones from FloydUpgrades.com) Since I had to redo the wiring, I decided to change out the pups; I'm more of a DiMarzio guy.

After much searching (and not wanting to replicate what I had in my other guitars), I decided to try a Steve's Special in the bridge and an Air Zone in the neck. This turns out to be a GREAT combo. The SS is hot and full on rhythm, screams on lead, but is very articulate. The Air Zone is fat and full, but not muddy, tracks well on the lower notes, and is hot with a hint of vintage.

The only thing I need to find now is a gold replacement allen wrench holder for behind the headstock.

The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

I love gold dont get me wrong, looks gorgeous on a red guitar, but i would prefer black on yours, chrome is a no no for any geetar, lol
    Jackson DK2M
    Jackson JS20
    BC Rich KKV
    Modified Fender Strat

Comment

First class customizing all the way! That 37mm L Big Block under the hood is the icing on the cake.

Comment

Looks 100% better. IMO the chrome hardware on the natural make the guitar look cheap. Good move! Where did you get the gold hardware from?
        Last edited by MikeStrat; 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
          Looks 100% better. IMO the chrome hardware on the natural make the guitar look cheap. Good move! Where did you get the gold hardware from?
          My thoughts exactly.

Parts from Warmoth, to include Gotoh tuners and OFR.
          The Guitars:
          Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
          The Amps:
          Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
            I disagree. I find that black is the cheap colour. CHrome on trans colours, please.
            '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
            '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
            '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
            '13 Gibson M-III
            Taylor 214CE
            Dean 6-string Bass
            Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post

The only thing I need to find now is a gold replacement allen wrench holder for behind the headstock.
              Try these guys. I think they sell direct:

With over 40 years of music industry experience, AP International is a mainstay supplier for virtually every OEM on the planet. Our goal has always been to offer quality hardware to everyone from the largest guitar companies to the garage tinkerer and everywhere in between. Order online or sign up for an account!

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                Try these guys. I think they sell direct:

http://www.apintl.com/
                Cool! Thanks for that tip.
                The Guitars:
                The Amps:

Comment

Originally posted by ToneZone View Post
                  I disagree. I find that black is the cheap colour. CHrome on trans colours, please.

I agree. I like the chrome hardware. Had it switched on my copperhead DK1 at one point, and am thinking of going back to it.
                  "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

I think Jackson got it right in the first place: Black on solid and graphic finishes, chrome on trans-finishes.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Its all good. I personally like the chrome on the colored trans finishes, but the on the natural finish, I prefer the gold hardware.
                      The Guitars:
                      The Amps:

Comment

Working...
                      X