USA Soloist - Older vs Newer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Soloist - Older vs Newer?

Ok. A local guitar guru in my town told me that the older USA Jacksons with a serial numbers with J then 4 digit numbers were far superior to the newer USA Soloists. Can anyone please weigh in on this.

Thanks!
    13' Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro ii - Alpine White
    05' Gibson Les Paul Classic - Ebony
    USA Jackson SL-2
    USA Jackson SL-1
    Peavey Valveking ii 20MH
    Marshall 1965A 4x10
    Marshall 1960AV 4x12

Well to start with, when followed by 4 digits, J serials are custom shop guitars. But not all customs start with a J. So you can have a USA made 'J' serial from 1985, or from 2008. And of course, before the early 90s, all Jacksons were 'custom' as there were no production models.

However, be aware that some Japanese guitars have serials starting with a 'J' but these have 6 digits....

There is a belief that older Jacksons are better, but there are gems and there are dogs from all eras. Older guitars have that elusive 'mojo' which some people will pay extra for.

On the other hand, older guitars can have features which some folks consider less desireable, such as a Kahler or JT6 trem, 3 mini toggles, rear loaded Floyd nut etc.....
    Last edited by neilli; 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

i would rather have the newer

Comment

I'm the opposite. Give me the old ones. I know who was building them. Not a slam on the new ones but what I'd prefer, and how can you beat the price?
        Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
        98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

the new soloist list for somewhere around 3K but actually sells for 2K new and there are "like new" soloist that aren't even selling for 1K on eBay. I went through eBay this morning and couldn't believe what ass kicking guitars are selling for. Seems like its a buyers market whatever your preference is

Comment

There was a like new DK1 Dinky in Cherry Burst that just sold for $850 on ebay. Guess I shouldn't have snoozed on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
              I'm the opposite. Give me the old ones. I know who was building them. Not a slam on the new ones but what I'd prefer, and how can you beat the price?
              I might agree, except for the fact that my 2005 Bengal SL2H gives most of my Gibsons a good run for the money. I'd love to score an older Jackson to compare against my new one. The oldest USA Jackson I have is a 1992 RR1.

Comment

I've owned both San Dimas and more recent Soloists, and I too can say that I've had total dogs and wonderful guitars from both eras. In terms of features, if you can find a San Dimas Soloist with a real Floyd, that is probably the best of all worlds, especially if you have a background in Gibsons. The angled neck, low-wide frets, and binding 'nibs' are all very Gibson-like, and I think that a San Dimas is about as good as it gets that way. As long as you can get one without the goddamned Kahler, which I haven't been able to, yet.

But if those Gibson-like features aren't important to you, then any era of USA Soloist is going to be good, really--maybe except for the '87-88 guitars with the JT-6 trem and Jackson electronics, but there are people who like those features as well.

Comment

Don't forget about the compound radius board. Didn't those only start to appear in the mid 90's? I like those.

Comment

well, i dont know much about 90's USA soloist, but i could tell you that my soloist PRO is a bit better than my local music store's sl2h(this is what i usually play whenever i go there). even though 2 of the knobs on my soloist PRO doesnt work, but the stock FR respond better at dive bombs and pulls. as for sound, i cant compare them since my soloist PRO has emg81 while the sl2h only have the original duncan stuff.
                    Own:
                    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                    w/e catches my eyes ATM
                    More '90 Professionals

Comment

older, i dont like how jackson does the neck thrus anymore. unless its a custom tey use pieces of wood to make up thickness in the body. IMO a neck thru should be one piece or its just a healless setneck.

Comment

My friend owned an early to mid 90's sl-2 that had a speed like neck on it. I couldn't believe how thin it was and how well it played. Then he sold it.:facepalm:

Comment

i like the neweer ones. i have never had a bad one and i think they look better - especially the SL1. i hate the old single coil rout (like what the PC-1 has).
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Nothing has changed besides prices, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                              older, i dont like how jackson does the neck thrus anymore. unless its a custom tey use pieces of wood to make up thickness in the body. IMO a neck thru should be one piece or its just a healless setneck.
                              +1
                              '97 KV1 alder

Comment

Working...
                              X