USA Soloist - Older vs Newer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    Well to start with, when followed by 4 digits, J serials are custom shop guitars. But not all customs start with a J. So you can have a USA made 'J' serial from 1985, or from 2008. And of course, before the early 90s, all Jacksons were 'custom' as there were no production models.

However, be aware that some Japanese guitars have serials starting with a 'J' but these have 6 digits....

There is a belief that older Jacksons are better, but there are gems and there are dogs from all eras. Older guitars have that elusive 'mojo' which some people will pay extra for.

On the other hand, older guitars can have features which some folks consider less desireable, such as a Kahler or JT6 trem, 3 mini toggles, rear loaded Floyd nut etc.....

Ian, I have to say that your Pink San Dimas Soloist ('85 wasn't it?) is probably the best Soloist that I have ever played (quite a few!!), I found the neck to be pretty slim and wide, just how I like them. Most of the recent ones that I have played have had pretty chunky necks, too fat for my liking although, the SL2H that I have in stock at work is very slim in comparison.

Steve

Comment

I prefer the older Jackson guitars over the new ones much more attention to detail.
      I like the Kahlers and the top mount floyds.Its all in the neck angle for me.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarplayer View Post
        There was a like new DK1 Dinky in Cherry Burst that just sold for $850 on ebay. Guess I shouldn't have snoozed on that one.
        Dude I saw that! EMGs Too!

Comment

I like them all and have yet to notice a clear and distinct pattern as to any particular era being "better" than any other. You might find individual differences from one guitar to another but thats about it. I feel pretty confident about buying new Jacksons and expecting the same kick ass quality they've always had.
          BTW, my band played out 2 nights ago and I used 3 of my Soloists that night. 2 newer ones and a Floyded 80's model. All performed flawlessly and sounded great all night. Never even went out of tune when rechecking them between sets
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

I only have 85&86 Jackson's I'll say Old they were all made to order CS.

Comment

I do have an opinion, but I'm staying out of this one.

My KV Pro kills any other Jackson I have ever played in sound and playability.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
                Ian, I have to say that your Pink San Dimas Soloist ('85 wasn't it?) is probably the best Soloist that I have ever played (quite a few!!), I found the neck to be pretty slim and wide, just how I like them. Most of the recent ones that I have played have had pretty chunky necks, too fat for my liking although, the SL2H that I have in stock at work is very slim in comparison.

Steve
                They're different machines. The 80's were pure-bred high performance machines meant to be played though Marshall JMPs, Marshall JCM800's and the original Boogies. They tend to sound a bit compressed but they are pure shred guitars. There is no compromise in building that machine (other than later sometimes Grover used cheap electronics). Some of the newer models have those original characteristics (and why we have varying opinions) The Gibson market influence cannot be overstated here. Jacksons have evolved in an attempt to cope with the market. The original Rhoads and Soloist necks were generally different but anything could be had on anything. Now there is an attempt at marketing to a wider range of buyers IMHO.

Lastly I'll just say this: I don't care if you have an 84 student, and 85 custom, a kelly, a king v, a Soloist, a Rhoads, whatever but I look at it like this:

My 85 Soloists and Rhoads were built on the same line and by the same people using the same machines and the same wood as the guitars used by Beck, Vai, Pihl, Cavaso (lol), Hagar, Rhoads, Crosby, etc, etc. I have the same guitar they do. Not like a Kramer Baretta where they made Eddie one by hand then turned and sold the public something different.

And for you young whippersnappers in 1985 if you were a guitarist not named Page, Clapton, Beck, Blackmore, Lynch, Vaughn, Prince, or Van Halen you had better be sure and have one in your hands in your video or you were NOBODY and EVERYBODY who saw you KNEW it. If you didn't have a Jackson deal you weren't worth a d**n. yeah, it was that big a deal. Make it a better guitar? absolutely. Nothing else came close. Sexy as hell and great to boot.

Anyway, I kind of like the old ones better. Not knockin', just testifyin' brother. LOL. Long winded. Sorry.
                Last edited by 85 San Dimas; 11-30-2008, 02:36 AM.
                Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I thought eddie made his guitar out of parts, hence the "frankenstien" a strat with a gibson pickup with a shoddy tremolo that used a quarter for a spacer.

You cant compare a 1963 split window corvette to a
                  Lingenfelter C6 Corvette

If you are one of the lucky ones that could have either one you wanted it would equate to personal preference and what it was going to be used for

Comment

Old or new USA Soloist, either way you'll be fine.
                    The guitar itself will serve you well.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                      My 85 Soloists and Rhoads were built on the same line and by the same people using the same machines and the same wood as the guitars used by Beck, Vai, Pihl, Cavaso (lol), Hagar, Rhoads, Crosby, etc, etc. I have the same guitar they do. Not like a Kramer Baretta where they made Eddie one by hand then turned and sold the public something different.
                      Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                      I thought eddie made his guitar out of parts, hence the "frankenstien" a strat with a gibson pickup with a shoddy tremolo that used a quarter for a spacer.
                      85 SD is referring to Eddie's later Kramers, not the original Frankenstrat. Supposedly, Eddie had carte blanche after he got his Kramer deal to go into the factory and make his own guitars. Whatever the case, you can be sure that Eddie's Kramers differed substantially from what you and I could buy.

Jackson in the San Dimas era was a small shop that made guitars strictly to order. The early serial number logs are amazing because guitars sent to big stars were mixed right in with guitars ordered by various stores. They didn't have a special "skunk works" operation that built the really nice instruments for the stars, like Ibanez does. I suspect every other big maker these days also does that.

Despite that, the San Dimas shop was fully capable of turning out a dog or two. I know, because I've owned one.

The features are really what set the early Soloists apart from the modern ones. If angled necks, low-wide frets and non-recessed Floyds are your thing, you either go vintage or pay Jackson $$$$$$$ for a custom order.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                        85 SD is referring to Eddie's later Kramers, not the original Frankenstrat. Supposedly, Eddie had carte blanche after he got his Kramer deal to go into the factory and make his own guitars. Whatever the case, you can be sure that Eddie's Kramers differed substantially from what you and I could buy.
                        but... you cant compare the Jackson USA selects made today to the kramers. USA select = Lifetime Warranty, IIRC The scarf joint that people converse over is believed by some to be stronger than a 1 piece neck. Some people even prefer the 3 piece neck over a one piece. Real Duncans, Real floyd, switchcraft switches, CTS pots, ebony board, MOP inlays, bound fingerboard & headstock, 12 - 16 In. radius

Jackson in the San Dimas era was a small shop that made guitars strictly to order. The early serial number logs are amazing because guitars sent to big stars were mixed right in with guitars ordered by various stores. They didn't have a special "skunk works" operation that built the really nice instruments for the stars, like Ibanez does.
                        but you are comparing the older to the new... (same company) I wouldnt think that the new USA select series could be in the same "skunk works" operation like ibanez

Despite that, the San Dimas shop was fully capable of turning out a dog or two. I know, because I've owned one.

The features are really what set the early Soloists apart from the modern ones. If angled necks, low-wide frets and non-recessed Floyds are your thing, you either go vintage or pay Jackson $$$$$$$ for a custom order.
                        I would trade my 05 sl2h for an older guitar for monetary gain only then sell it and buy a new one with the recessed floyd. it really just boils down to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                          but... you cant compare the Jackson USA selects made today to the kramers. USA select = Lifetime Warranty, IIRC The scarf joint that people converse over is believed by some to be stronger than a 1 piece neck. Some people even prefer the 3 piece neck over a one piece. Real Duncans, Real floyd, switchcraft switches, CTS pots, ebony board, MOP inlays, bound fingerboard & headstock, 12 - 16 In. radius
                          I wasn't comparing the new Jacksons to Kramer, actually, but the vintage Jacksons. One of the interesting things about Jackson is how the USA Selects are pretty much the same as the Custom Shop guitars quality-wise. Now, what gets made in Corona for the famous folks, I don't know.

Based on the more recent Jacksons I've played (last 10 years or so), I think the overall quality was slightly higher in the SD era. But then, Jackson makes many more guitars today than it did then, in a much more 'industrialized' production process. There were little touches to the old guitars that spoke of hand construction. You'd only get that today from a small builder, which is really what Jackson was then.

Comment

and my comments do not reflect good or ill on Charvels either. When I talk about having a Jackson endorsement deal the same thing can be said about SD Charvels.

Anyway all great guitars, but those of us from the 80's are dyed-in the wool believers in both the bolt-ons and set-necks constructed by this group of people in those buildings at that time. In fact, its why we are here. Personally I want the line preserved as close to traditional history as possible, but we all recognize that some parts of the line must evolve to stay relevent. Those bolt-ons are incredible but I'm getting off topic...
                            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I agree I had the next to last Charvel #5490 and it was the very best Charvel I ever laid my hands on.
                              My 85 SD kelly custom is light years ahead from any KE-1 I ever had.
                              Now I have played and owned quite a fewJ/C new and old and I vote for the older.
                              Even the bolt on SD plated Jacksons are very special I would rather have 86-89 than a new DK-1 anyday.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                                Anyway all great guitars, but those of us from the 80's are dyed-in the wool believers in both the bolt-ons and set-necks constructed by this group of people in those buildings at that time. In fact, its why we are here. Personally I want the line preserved as close to traditional history as possible, but we all recognize that some parts of the line must evolve to stay relevent. Those bolt-ons are incredible but I'm getting off topic...
                                I don't want Jackson to become a strictly "vintage" builder like Gibson, but it would be nice if they added production Soloist and Rhoads models with vintage specs. The Shannon Soloists are a great idea. The $3500+ CS price tag? Not so much...

Comment

Working...
                                X