modding my jackson....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modding my jackson....

I have an RR1 that I don't play anymore since i got my ESP eclipse a year ago.....
    So now I decided to revive it
    but I've grown to hate the Hot rod flames graphic on it and the stupid pickguard covering the graphic wich is why i hate the graphic...
    then I came up with an idea of covering the whole front with a black satin Diamond plate and adding white "fake binding stripes" on the bevels to hide the graphic completely
    so my question to you guys, how do you like the idea?
    should i buy a diamond plate and cut it myself or should i buy a premade one?
    where do i get it from? and where to look for the binding stripes?

Thanks(:
    Dave

I would personally sell it. The RR1's are beautiful looking and playing guitars. To mod it like that would be a shame IMO. But, its your guitar.

Comment

selling it is not an option, there's no market for such guitar in israel at all
      i will get a fourth of what i paid for it at most, and i like it too much to part with it
      it has sentimental value and my parents gave me this as a gift
      indeed a great playing instrument, but i can't get past the childish looks....

Comment

dude, sell it to somebody here. don't do that to that guitar!!!! later you will regret it!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hot Rod Flames childish? I have never seen a kid's guitar with "gay flames." Dude, that's the ultimate finish on a guitar, flames, nothing childish about it, but you do what you want. I'd say because you actually had to ask the JCF you are hesitant, so don't waste a cool piece.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Post a pic so that we can see if it is really that bad.

Comment

I'd highly recomend doing anything like that in a reversible manner i.e. only use the existing screw holes (control plate, pickup rings) and then use double sided tape to secure the diamondplate on the upper wing.

And maybe you could find some black tape to cover the bevels? Sure it wouldn't look pretty close up, but from more than 6 feet away it should look OK if you do a decent job of it....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

thanks for the advice.... i don't think it will hold up very well with just the existing screw holes
                but if i were going to get a diamond plate where should i get it from?
                and sure I'm hesitant about it, this guitar served me well for 3 years
                and the graphic wouldn't bother me that much if it wasn't covered by that pickguard that makes it look like half a picture

anyway I'll post pics of her tomorrow
                and send her off to a pro setup next week(:

Comment

I would set it up or have it set up. 9/10 times that is why people buy a guitar and leave the old one to gather dust after owning it a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TruckerDave View Post
                    and the graphic wouldn't bother me that much if it wasn't covered by that pickguard that makes it look like half a picture
                    I assume it looks like this.

You could always take the guard off and have one made of a clear plastic plexiglass material, but you're not going to get a full flame graphic anyway since there's a hole for the electronics under there.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I' m not saying don't do it. I'm saying diamond plate looks stoopid on a guitar. YOMV
                      Last edited by Grandturk; 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Why not just paint it? Then buy a new scratchplate, truss guard and pickup rings from Budman?
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

You can also have the graphic flames painted on the pickguard to match what is on the body. Might look more "complete" that way. Maybe you can go so far as to get EMG's and have the graphic painted to match on them too. That would look cool!
                          Guitars:
                          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                          1988 Model 2,
                          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                          RR3
                          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

[quote;1175862]

[/quote]

I don't know.....looks fine to me just the way it is. I would love to have one!

Hmmmm.....I have a black RR3. All I would need is to have the flames painted on. Or we can trade if you want!
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                              You can also have the graphic flames painted on the pickguard to match what is on the body. Might look more "complete" that way. Maybe you can go so far as to get EMG's and have the graphic painted to match on them too. That would look cool!
                              Thats what I was going to suggest. A decent airbrush job shouldn't be too tough and it'd blend right into the graphic.
                              I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X