Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone actually checked out their fretboard radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone actually checked out their fretboard radius?

I've started to get into setting up guitars myself lately and have slowly acquired a load of tools from Stew Mac. One set of handy tools I've purchased has been a set of fretboard radius tools and after deciding to check out the conical fretboard that Jacksons supposedly have I was shocked to find out my USA KV-2 circa 2001 has a constant 12" radius - not the compound 12-16" radius specified on their sites. Has anyone else noticed this on their guitars or am I a lone soldier with a constant 12" radius?

Originally posted by buckethead bungler View Post
    I've started to get into setting up guitars myself lately and have slowly acquired a load of tools from Stew Mac. One set of handy tools I've purchased has been a set of fretboard radius tools and after deciding to check out the conical fretboard that Jacksons supposedly have I was shocked to find out my USA KV-2 circa 2001 has a constant 12" radius - not the compound 12-16" radius specified on their sites. Has anyone else noticed this on their guitars or am I a lone soldier with a constant 12" radius?
    No, I havent checked mine, but Jackson also advertises the KV2 as having Jumbo Frets, which they are more like a Medium-Jumbo realistically, so the radius thing doesn't surprise me really.

What tools did you buy so far? What's the quality like on them? I've been wanting to oder some tools from Stew Mac, but I was unsure of the quality.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I've spet a lot of money at Stew-Mac over the years.Great quality tools IMO expensive but when you have the right tools the job is much eaiser and the quality of your work better.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I never bothered checking the radius of my SL2H because it plays great, so I don't mess with it.

I have an LP with a 9.5" radius. As long as humans are doing the work...

Also, did you check the actual fretboard radius or the string radius? The strings might be 12" at the bridge but the fretboard might be 16". That would be bad I would think. I would think you'd always want a larger string radius than fretboard, if you can't get the two to match.

Comment

For those of you looking for free radius guides:

Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I want the steel ones from Stew-Mac, but I don't want to pay for them

Comment

Also, are you checking the fretboard or the frets? While the fret wires may be bent to match the board's radius, if they're ground/polished to a different radius......
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                For those of you looking for free radius guides:

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguar...s%20Gauges.pdf
                you are awesome.

quality of tools from stewmac is the best in the business.

Comment

Checked the actual fretboard in between the 23rd and the 24th frets as I assumed that is where the 16" radius would be most pronounced. I don't mind it being a flat 12" radius to be honest as the OFR has a set 12" radius and it now matches the entire length of the neck.

I used the metal understring radius gauges and they're very handy. Very high quality machined parts. Great for setting pole-piece height as well as action at the bridge.

Comment

Those are nice. I'd love to get a set.

Comment

Originally posted by buckethead bungler View Post
                      I don't mind it being a flat 12" radius to be honest as the OFR has a set 12" radius and it now matches the entire length of the neck.
                      An OFR has always been a 10" radius. Your saddles may be shimmed.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X