Duncan TB-11 and TB-APH1 in SL2H?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan TB-11 and TB-APH1 in SL2H?

Has anybody run this combination in their SL2h?

I am looking for a less aggressive pickup combination - I prefer to get the goods out of my amp and pedals than out of the guitar. After studying everything online, I was thinking of the Duncan Custom Alnico II tremolo version (TB-11) with an Alnico II Pro Neck (not sure if I need a tremolo version for the neck).

I have the alder body soloist with an ebony fretboard - so I was thinking these two are really good as they are recommended for bright guitars. I think that's an amp description of a soloist, but would love to hear your recommendations here.

Also, do I need the tremolo version for both pickups, or just the bridge position?

Thanks,

Mickey

The TB-11 might be kind of dull-sounding in a Soloist. Soloists are not excessively bright-sounding, the way Carvins are, for example. To me, Soloists have a really fat midrange, and the rolled-off highs on the TB-11 aren't going to work right. You might be better off going with Duncan '59s in both positions.

Neither Duncan nor Dimarzio make trem-spaced neck pickups because they aren't necessary. The strings and neck pole pieces line up the same on trem and non-trem guitars. The neck pickup differs by having pole pieces on the opposite coil and by not being as hot. I don't recommend using a bridge pickup in the neck position. If you did, you'd want to turn it 180 degrees around.
    Last edited by pro-fusion; 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

i think you should go with the So-Cal's pup combo. the Tone Zone is a medium output bridge pup that will sound great with your ebony fretboard. and i prefer the Evo as a neck pup instead of a bridge pup.

lately i've been getting more into Dimarzio pickups over Duncan. the top end of most Duncans just seems either too icepicky or too dull to me.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
        The TB-11 might be kind of dull-sounding in a Soloist. Soloists are not excessively bright-sounding, the way Carvins are, for example. To me, Soloists have a really fat midrange, and the rolled-off highs on the TB-11 aren't going to work right. You might be better off going with Duncan '59s in both positions.

Neither Duncan nor Dimarzio make trem-spaced neck pickups because they aren't necessary. The strings and neck pole pieces line up the same on trem and non-trem guitars. The neck pickup differs by having pole pieces on the opposite coil and by not being as hot. I don't recommend using a bridge pickup in the neck position. If you did, you'd want to turn it 180 degrees around.
        So then should I try the TB-14 instead?

TB-14 bridge, Alinico Pro neck?

Comment

I just did the Alnico II magnet swap into the JB - it's great, this may be all I needed! I am going to play it for a few days like this and see how it works out, but off the bat - the guitar sounds full and rich again, with good harmonic content.

I had tried the A3 bit on a JB in a LP before, and it worked great - I forgot I had these magnets laying around (as they were all stuck to my roll-away).

Comment

Sounds good. I like my SL2H with the stock pickups.

Comment

TB-14 is a killer pup IMO..

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
                TB-14 is a killer pup IMO..
                I've cranked the guitar now with the modified JB, but it's still not right for me. It killed some of the top on the pickup but too much, and the bottom is a bit too spongy. What I am really looking for is that PAF on steroids.

Have you used the TB-14 in an alder body soloist? I think that's my next step.
                Last edited by Mickey_C; 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I have a tb-11 and a pearly gates (also an alnico II magnet) in one of my ibanez's. I love the tb-11 and the pearly gates, but they dont sound right together suprisingly. If i was to get another pup I would try the alnico II pro. the tb-11 is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_C View Post
                    The TB-14 is a little scooped in the mids, and I did not care for it in my alder Charvel Star. It does, however, sound excellent in my Hamer Special FM (mahogany set neck, mahogany body, 3/4" maple top). I also have an Alnico II Pro paired up with it in the neck, and they work very well together.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      i think you should go with the So-Cal's pup combo. the Tone Zone is a medium output bridge pup that will sound great with your ebony fretboard. and i prefer the Evo as a neck pup instead of a bridge pup.

lately i've been getting more into Dimarzio pickups over Duncan. the top end of most Duncans just seems either too icepicky or too dull to me.
                      I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of one of my favorite Soloists and it sounds great! In fact I just recently picked up another Tone Zone that I'll put into another of my Jacksons
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_C View Post
                        I've cranked the guitar now with the modified JB, but it's still not right for me. It killed some of the top on the pickup but too much, and the bottom is a bit too spongy. What I am really looking for is that PAF on steroids.

If you're looking for a hotter PAF type pickup, what about the Dimarzio PAF Pro?
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          If you're looking for a hotter PAF type pickup, what about the Dimarzio PAF Pro?
                          I tried one once in a PRS CU24 - it was very much my thing - thanks for the reminder. It had that really cool midrange vowel thing.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                            I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of one of my favorite Soloists and it sounds great! In fact I just recently picked up another Tone Zone that I'll put into another of my Jacksons
                            Weird. I went to Dimarzio's site and was blown away by the clip of the Jackson Soloist with the Tone Zone. It appears to have the dynamics of a much lower output pickup.

I might need to try this out!

Comment

The Tone Zone is a great pickup. I actually put one in place of the Custom 5 in my old Charvel Star, and it definitely brought it to life. It's really not all that hot either, but it's got some balls to the low mids and bass. The Custom 5 seemed a little hollow in it with its relaxed/scooped mids.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X