A few Soloist Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few Soloist Questions

I am in the process of talking with a guy about buying his Eerie Swirl SL1. He says that it is in mint condition and that it does not have a licensed Floyd trem, so I would think that is an OFR and EMG pickups. I am not familiar with Jackson USA's, so I just wanted to check if they ever came with EMG's. My thinking was that Jackson always used SD or their own pickups until the last year or so, and that was on artist models that they switched to EMG's. It is from 1995. I am thinking of offering $750. Would this be an insulting offer, or is it reasonable, and does the EMG pickups effect the price?

I'm not the expert on Soloists, but if it's a USA series, it should have an OFR and I believe they've been using the JB in the bridge and Classic Stacks in mid and rhythm positions for a long time. My 2000 had SDs stock.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you more definitive answers on your questions.

Best of Luck!
    Mike

Comment

I don't think EMGs affect the price that much. It would be an easy swap for something of your choice and then you could sell the EMGs if you didn't want them. If it's USA soloist in mint condition, I would think $750 is a little low. Does it have an ebony board, binding and sharkfins? If not, maybe it's an import soloist like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-SOLOIST-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

$750 would be slightly on the low side for a 1995 Soloist, but I wouldn't go over $1000. The bridge and pickups have almost certainly been changed if it's actually a 1995 guitar. Those originally came with a Schaller-made JT-590 licensed Floyd (a good one, though), Bill Lawrence 500xl bridge pickup, and Jackson J100 neck/middle pickups. Jackson made the switch to OFRs and Duncans on the Soloist in 1996.

Comment

As far as the initial offer.. You can always go up from there,, but it's real difficult to come down
          RIP Erika Nicole 1/09/88--7/05/08

http://indiemusicworks.com/Axe/
          http://www.myspace.com/axe57

Comment

Given recent pricing I think $750 is a good start and not insulting.

Hell I saw a nearly brand new PC-1 in redrum for $1200. It's still sitting there as far as I know. Pricing is pretty soft right now.

Is it possible that it's not a 1995? I've seen plenty of folks call the covered Jackson pickups "active" or even EMG's, just because they assume that anything covered in black plastic can't be anything else.

Vass

Comment

I checked the serial number and it is defintely a 1995, and the owner is positive they are EMG's so it sounds like they were changed. He says he is almost sure it is a Floyd Rose, but maybe it is the JT-590 and he just didn't remember correctly (this was at work over lunch). I do know that he got it at a steal when he bought it, so I might try $750 and just tell him that I'll start with a low offer and if he feels it is to low we can move from there.

Comment

HELL NO don't tell him it's a low offer. Why even make the offer if you're going to say that? Might as well say, "I'll give you $750 for it but I'd definitely would pay more". You think he's gonna take $750 after that?

Negotiate! Walk away! You know this stuff

Vass

Comment

Good point, that is what I get for starting drinking too early.

Comment

Too early??? Yer jokin right?
                    RIP Erika Nicole 1/09/88--7/05/08

http://indiemusicworks.com/Axe/
                    http://www.myspace.com/axe57

Comment

Well I should at least and get home and showered after work.

I ended up scoring this beauty for $800. I'll be taking delivery tomorrow and pissing off my wife with it tomorrow night. So some time in between I'll be posting pictures.

Comment

I would like to see the pics!
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                          As would I!
                          As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                            I dont want to see pics of him in the shower! Whats wrong with u guys?

Comment

there's no telling what happens to them once they leave the factory.
                              198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                              1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                              2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                              2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                              2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Working...
                              X